20 posts in this topic

so since Im new to the OC inshore fishing, when does the spring striper season start?

and what are the best methods?

also, what tackle shops are open? Im guessing AKE's & Delmarva?

Watch the water temps, links are on this site. Maybe 45-50 degrees is a good time to start watching for the run.

Harbor Tackle will probably be open, depends on Coop convincing Bev to open.

Hahahaha...

Seriously, you can get clams about anywhere though and that's what you'll need to use.

Watch the water temps, links are on this site. Maybe 45-50 degrees is a good time to start watching for the run.

Harbor Tackle will probably be open, depends on Coop convincing Bev to open.

Hahahaha...

Seriously, you can get clams about anywhere though and that's what you'll need to use.

thanks Steve, and 2 ? where is Harbor Tackle? and whats the water temp now?

Hey Randy,,,as far as methods, boat fishing or surf fishing?,,,as far as the season, things should really start by the end of april,,,but I am sure you can catch stripers well before then (end of march and maybe sooner),,,with the water temps warmer this winter, you just never know,,,water temps are in the mid to low 40's,,,I plan on fishing friday if I can find some line to spool my reels up, I'll check the temps for you if I go,,,I think most of the b&t's should be open by the beginning of March,,,Bev @ Harbor tackle actually had fresh bunker last week and was open,,,Ake normally opens up in March.

ok, thanks :wink:

I'll be fishing outta' my by boat and I guess I'll put something together for the end of this month. gotta' get my crew together and on the same page :lol: and get the wife to make some resv at FSK motel. I'll keep you all posted and I will save room in the boat incase some of you need toget your "Sea-Legs" on :lol:

I don't know when the season will start. You never know till it does but I plan on fishing my butt off this year.

Plan on fishing my butt off as well. I stopped by Gander Mountain and did a lot of window shopping. I did buy some "under armor" for those cold days/nights ahead and some 13/0 circle hooks. One of these days soon, I'm gonna get out the fishing gear and head out. I'm looking forward to this!

Sam, that under armor is good stuff,,,I have a long sleeve and it works great on those chilly nights.

Plan on fishing my butt off as well. I stopped by Gander Mountain and did a lot of window shopping. I did buy some "under armor" for those cold days/nights ahead and some 13/0 circle hooks. One of these days soon, I'm gonna get out the fishing gear and head out. I'm looking forward to this!

Sam, how is that Gander Mt store? mostly hunting & camping stuff or do they have a good slection of Fishing Tackle? and it's in Salisbury, right?

Randy, I would say gander mtn is a no frills bass pro,,,meaning, inside decore is more like a value city, and bass pro is more like a Boscovs or Hechts with alot of flash,,,my kids love bass pro for that reason and it does add something to the shopping exerience,,,Gander mtn has no huge fish tank with stripers swimming, climbing walls, etc,,,Gander mtn is no slouch when it comes to fishing gear but I think bass pro has a better selection,,,gander lacks in saltwater gear and surf rods,,,I really wish gander carried more in that salt water department,,,I really thought I would get huge savings shopping there, but the prices were really close to our local b&t shops,,,I went up there the other day just to get a huge spool of suffix tritanium and all they had were 330 yd rolls, no dice,,,I also use seagaur 80 lb flouro for my leader and they were actually about 10% hire then our local b&t, but you still cant beat there selection,,,location is right across the mall in salisbury.

I would have to agree. The prices weren't all that great. They do, however, have a lot to look at. I've never been inside a Bass Pro, so I can't compare the two. I'm glad they are around, in any case to give us a little more selection. For salt water gear, I would try and stick to our local tackle shops. I was lookin prettttty hard at one of the ATV's they had. :-)

all right, thanks guys :) I still might have to stop in and check them out on our next trip east.

now, back to fishing.

I still have questions :?

here's the deal: I've caught plenty of fish offshore of OC and lots in the back bay from the Rt 50 bridge to the Rt 90 bridge but in over 40 years I have only caught 1 fish over 12" (10lb Sea Trout@15 years ago) south of the Rt 50 bridge. The Rt 50 bridge to the inlet and on down behind Assateague has been my "Achilles Heel" :oops: so when we get back down to the beach, Im gonna' be asking alot of questions :lol:

also how is the fishing in Newport Bay and points south, like down towards Pirate Islands & Pope Island areas?

It's fairly straight-forward Randy, big bait, big fish.

When the big ones of any type get here just chuck out a hunk on at least a 8/0 hook.

On the boat little if any weight, none in a chum line. From shore, whatever the current dictates, up to 8 oz.

Other than that, it's just like Coop has shown, you simply got to put in the time.

Well, I think I have finally exercised self control.

I spent 2 hours in Bass Pro today and bought only what I went for, snap swivels.

Well, I did cheat, I did buy a nice big waterproof boat bag for $15. (on sale)

Big sale this week.

They have Loomis rods for $275-$295. Expensive for my pocket...

I came up with several ideas to try this season, should be cool.

But I certainly enjoyed my two hours in the candy store! :coolp:

Gotcha' :D Thanks Steve

is there a BP shop on the Eastern Shore :? if-so, I need to know :lol:

I was just at the one in Arundel Mills last weekend and bought 2 of them yellow BPS boat bags, great deal :!:

I did go over board, I was in ther for 5 hrs :oops: bill was $860.00 :o

you say "Candy Store" :?: I call it a "Drug Store" 8)

We don't have a BP but in Salisbury there is a Gander Mnt. and many B&T shops..

you say "Candy Store" :?: I call it a "Drug Store" 8)

:lol: :mrgreen:

Oh, and two pool noodles.

I dunno', I just like to chase the dogs around and beat them with 'em. :mrgreen:

I'm going to come up with a rod hold-down using them in the bed of the truck.

Total bill, $35.20.

Now, last year was a different story, well over a grand in one trip when I bought the yak and Penn 115.

I know a guywho went in there and dropped OVER 10 grand just on reels in one visit....

He got a bunch of the sweet Penn Internationals.

Yeah, and I buy a pack of swivels..... sheesh..... :lol::lol::lol:

Randy, as far as fishing south of the route 50 via a boat, I havent heard much success but have heard of some trout and flounder taken down towards the AI bridge,,,I am not sure why, but that area doesn't seem to be fished,,,maybe due to the shallows throughout the area, I think its pretty much uncharted territory but still is worth sniffing around,,,from work, I do see boats fishing the AI bridge, so theres got to be something down that area and further south.

yeah, maybe. I'll have to look into the lower part this summer and see what down there :) thought maybe some of the "yakers" on here may have floatted down there and fished the shallows :wink:

I know crabbing is good, because when the wife and I lived in Snow Hill, we use togo down to "Public Landing" on weekends and go crabbing. well now that I have my own boat, time to-go exploring :lol:

best thing about the lower part, less traffic!

i actually like it down there

had some luck near the ai bridge with croaker, flatties and trout in the past.