8 posts in this topic

As some already know, I do the majority of my fishing in South Jersey. I go to AI a handful of times a year as a treat and total escape. Well, one of those times is coming up for me but I will be with some family staying over in OC.

Let's theoretically say that I get up in the middle of the night and take a stroll over to one of these bridges to throw a line out. I am not familiar at all with your bridge fishing as I am up here. What type of lure would work best? What tide has performed best (usually outgoing up this way, I assume the same)? Can I have any success with a fat curly tail grub, some smelly jelly, and a bunch of assorted jig heads from 1/2oz - 2oz? And lastly, how do you guys get the fish up to land it? I dont have a net or gaff, so am I out of luck completely, or is there something I should invest in?

Sorry for the longwinded question. Just trying to up my odds any way possible (and surprise the family at 3 in the morning with a big catch, lol).

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Well.....the 90 bridge is out....no fishing from the bridge. The 50 bridge is great, need a drop net however. Try gottcha plugs, storm lures, and bucktails. Also try a spreader rig with minnows and squid, just let it drift out with the current and you should do well.

You might try tandem rigs jig heads white , pink zoom minnows.

What tide usually produces best down that way? I would think incoming at Rt 50? I know up here, we have lots of small streams and creeks that pour out the inlet as the tide recedes. From google earth, it appears not so marshy and mainly large sounds. Anyway, I'll give it a shot. Any suggestions on dropnet?

you can pick up a drop net at just about any tackle shop around or even walmart only like 25-30 bucks and believe it or not I have always had my best luck on the out going tide, I think its because the fish are hanging around waiting for all the crap to flush out of the bay.

park on the main land side of the bridge. Walk down the side of the bridge you plan to fish..... fish the light poles casting down into them and then reel back. Some just jig as they walk the bridge. Others fish large rubber jigs in the section of the bridge that is deep, and slowly retrieve. I have seen rock poking their noses out of the shadows. I like casting down the sides of the eddy's the bridge creates. Good luck..... I test fate, and don't take a net, there is usually someone with a net if you need it, or walk the fish to the end of the bridge and land it on the rocks..... I usually catch, mostly shorts.

You might try tandem rigs jig heads white , pink zoom minnows.

Mmmm... Caught a few using that combo last fall. :icon_thumright:

No one tide is best...depends on water clarity and temps-if the bay water is dirty, clean ocean water on the incoming may be better and vise-versa, and likewise with water temps.