7 posts in this topic

While doing research for the forum I learned that the Menhaden, commonly known as bunker, population is not over-fished as was rumored. Actually commercial fishermen only remove two out of every thousand menhaden.

Currently, around 35% of the coastal menhaden harvested in the Atlantic is used for bait by recreational sport fishermen targeting striped bass, bluefish and weakfish, as well as commercial fishermen (predominately for blue crab pots). The remainder of the harvest is processed into fish meal and oil, supporting one of America's oldest business.

Historically, when colonists first arrived to the 'New World', local natives showed them how to fertilize their crops with menhaden caught close to shore. Over the years, the fishery grew from its traditional use as an agricultural fertilizer, to a source of oil for lamps, and then to animal feed supplements.

:fish:

Do you have a link for more information? That certainly sounds like good news!

Be interesting to read cause I ain't buying it! Not at this time anyway!

I just don't see the schools of bunker I use to even compared to 2-3 years ago. I have been standing on the beach casting to a school of striper countless times only to see Omega Boats come in, lay the nets and game over. Bait and fish gone for days if not weeks.

Those schools of bait just don't seem to be found much anymore.......Let us know where you saw that!

There are groups out there that say that the stocks are fine, and there's groups out there that say they aren't.

I say, take a look at the condition of the chesapeake bay and decide for yourself. I, for one, think that poor water quality can be directly traced to the overfishing of filter feeders such and bunker and oysters.

With two sides in opposition on this, shouldn't the fisheries managers err on the side of caution?

This is a very sore spot for many people including me. Its tough to promote striper conservation when their food sources are being depleated at the same time.

The VA Omega relationaship is shameful and they treat the bay as if they own it with spotter planes and teams of boats pulling nets over the spotted schools. Its a wonder any bunker even make it into MD. Don't even get into the bycatch damage...ugh ruined my morning!

The VA Omega relationaship is shameful and they treat the bay as if they own it with spotter planes and teams of boats pulling nets over the spotted schools. Its a wonder any bunker even make it into MD. Don't even get into the bycatch damage...ugh ruined my morning!

I cant believe one bunker makes it past the CBBT when Omega is working, much less to MD! If you ain't ever seen them work then do yourself a favor and don't, cause it will make ya :icon_oak: