14 posts in this topic

I fished AI the other day and never felt like I was "settled in". Like it was my first day on the beach, one dumb mistake after another (water over my boot, leader blowing away before I could tie it tight, etc....) like a fish out of water so to speak. Then something painful happened. Alot of people use these for bluefish. In fact, last fall they worked better than anything for big blues.

mrig.jpg.88904f8bfd9ac7496be9e5cdf787e38

A whole finger mullet rig. Well, they have a wire that goes thru the float and then goes back down into the float with about a half inch of wire turned up to stick in the inside of the float so it doesn't come off.

stuck.jpg.5f9979171d309e8dd9c5dd1ebce1dd

I found one in front of where I was fishing and decided to check it out. It was buried in the sand, deep in the sand. So I pulled and didn't make much headway. So I pulled harder and tried to kick some sand away in the process. All this in between waves. Well my hand slipped and the float pulled away with the wire buring into my pinky crossways. Thought it was a hook at first but after further inspection noticed the wire was in as far in as it could go. Surprised it didn't come out the other side or hit the bone. Pulled it out and bled awhile. After I got over the anger of doing something stuid I cut it off and took a picture of it so I could tell the story and hopefully prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

Ouch! Hope you're healing well - i usually manage one spat of beeding per trip (hook, wire, clamshell, whatever - it will find me and cut me)

Were you using that mullet rig for investigation? or have you heard of blues being here yet?

trowpa.... have had some close calls with hooks but never impalled before. I was over-reacting, thinking medivac :icon_wink: . Once I could see it moved fine and the throbbing stopped I didn't give it much thought especially since I had a tetnus shop a couple years ago.

No Blues yet. Not even a bit on Wednesday but it won't be long. I was using all fish finder rigs on the bottom.

ouch cant begin to count the # of hooks in my hands.

Man, that hurts! Hate to see that.... I've bled more on that beach from knives, hooks and thin mono.:dontknow: Oh, and the sting ray...:cwm10:

I remember the sting ray story. Now that sounds like real pain.:icon_pale:

wow, thats crazy:eek:

I also found a rig at the surfs edge last year, saw a orange float and 1 small hook that looked like a Kingfish rig, started pulling it up as I wanted it outta the way incase Barb or I stepped on it:angry5:

it to was burried deep in the sand but I did recover the whole rig, along wth a lead weight but wth NO harm to me:)

now after ready this, I will be carefull :icon_salut:

MQ, make sure you are up on your tetanus shots. The doc at the hospital told me lots of bacteria in the water.

Yeah, had a tetnus shot a couple of years ago after brushing up against a rusty pitch fork so should be okay. Appears to be in good shape, no redness or pain and only a little swelling left, I think from the bleeding inside. Eager to get out there again but will be targeting beginning to middle of May the hardest. If my memory serves me correctly, MD state record has been caught about this time past two years in a row. :happy7: