13 posts in this topic

I was wondering how and where most of you fish while fishing on assateague island, i enjoy surf fishing a lot but am tired of catching the typcial blue fish that roam the coast of OC around 103rd street. Ive always heard great things about Assateague and after seeing things from this site, like the size of the sharks caught, drum, and rock, i am excited to try it out, heck i even remember a few years back a kid caught a Tuna off the shore. The only thing i am unsure about is how to get there from OC. and where to fish while there. From what i understand its off of Rt. 611, but is this after the 50? please help me out

Im basically looking for some directions to a good spot on Assateague, i know fisherman find it difficult to speak of spots that seem to produce fish but if anyone is willing to give me some info regarding Assateague surf fishing, i would greatly appreciate it

The second part to this question is what rigs are you all using for these different species of fish, Rock, Drum, and Shark? i want to update my tackle box before going down agin and i will need some more rigs and weights as well...

If anyone can point me in the right direction that woul be awesome!

Thanks guys, and girls!

Phil

Phil

945d1157572409-drum-rig-fulldrumrig.jpg

I'm using this for just about everything except with a larger hook for big fish. If you go with the 8/0 you can still catch whiting, blues etc on that as well as handle the bigguns. Keep the leader short and you can throw it further.

As for fishing spots, are you getting an offroad permit for AI or fishing the walkover?

There isn't much to say about Assateague as far as location, it is a very boring (difficult) beach to read IMO, it is largely one big slough until you get down south and it changes a little bit. Do a search on "reading the beach" and it will pull up some good threads for you to check out.

From OC make a left on golfcourse rd and go to harbor tackle then after B&T expenses head back down 50 to the next light and make a left on Stephen Decateur and follow it until the end of the earth. Check out the AI website for park maps and much better directions.

Assateague - Chincoteague Collection Island Guide

Ben I use beads also but I put the bead on the knot. Why is the besd on top of the swivel?

it should help the slide to keep from coming back up the line on a cast and damageing that knot

ive seen em on both sides of the swivel

Ok, that rig is the jist of what I use.

I always put a bead in front of the FF, I had a problem with the FF jamming on the knot when I casted which defeated the entire purpose of the FF and basically made it a 3-way. I don't put one in back generally unless I'm fishing in a crowd, it keeps the sinker from riding higher then the shock knot. Although with the 80 lb shockers I used recently nothing is riding over that knot.

I don't do it all the time because if a fish breaks my running line I want it to be able to at least drop the sinker and have a chance to survive, with a bead it will have to drag the sinker until the hook rusts or it may become exhausted and die.

Going backwards from the hook this is what I will be using 8/0 gami big eye circle or 8/0 gami octopus snelled to 3" of 80 lb flouro leader to about a 200lb barrel swivel, The 80lb shocker will be tied to the barrel with a bead after the knot followed by a FF rig I'm trying that looks like this. http://www.atlanticanglers.com/fishing-tackle-gear/2921-new-ff-rigs-me.html

80 to 20 running line with an albright.

same basic design but different knots and #ages.

As I was doing research for the different states. I was able to put together a section on "reading the beach". It is located under the state of Georgia off the main page. I hope this helps.

If anyone has any additional information I would be happy to add it and of course, give credit where credit is due.

phile10....what Charkbait said. Also, if you get your bait at Harbor, you don't need to go back out to rt. 50. You can just shoot right up Sunset Ave and you'll intersect with Rt. 611. Hang a left and go to the end.

Reading the beach at AI can be tough, especially if you arrive at high tide and it's rough.. If you can find an area that has a rip tide this is a good area. I like fishing the edges. Also, an area where there are no waves with waves breaking nort and south can indicate a hole or deeper water in the middle. I like these areas as well.

Good Luck

phile10....what Charkbait said. Also, if you get your bait at Harbor, you don't need to go back out to rt. 50. You can just shoot right up Sunset Ave and you'll intersect with Rt. 611. Hang a left and go to the end.

Reading the beach at AI can be tough, especially if you arrive at high tide and it's rough.. If you can find an area that has a rip tide this is a good area. I like fishing the edges. Also, an area where there are no waves with waves breaking nort and south can indicate a hole or deeper water in the middle. I like these areas as well.

Good Luck

good point on sunset, I always waste my time driving back out to 50...duh.

Ok, I though I may have had it wrong. thanks for clearing that up Ben. Mity Quin thanks for that tip I had no clue you could go down sunset.

Careful of what time you go down Sunset, it can be VERY difficult getting out onto 611.

Careful of what time you go down Sunset, it can be VERY difficult getting out onto 611.

Ain't that the truth!

Welcome aboard, phile10! :icon_rabbit:

Good point. It helps to have a big V-8 and nitros but if you go early morn or late evening you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Also wanted to mention that the site changes look good and it seems like traffic has picked. The birth of another Google?

Finally, there's herring at Porters.

good info guys, i wish i could meet up with some of you all just to watch, like i said, im a relatively newb when it comes to surf fishing...i fish a lot, oc inlet, offshore with my buddies, but need to learn the basics like tying a shock leader, and some other basic knots, maybe i will have to catch up with you all when you go out for your spring fling and other trips. I live in the Towson MD area and only frequent the beach occasionally, but when i do, i love to fish.

Phil