5 posts in this topic

I fished both 10/0 Mutu and 8/0 gami octopus hooks in NC last week. 1 fish caught on the Mutus and everything else on the gami's. In trying to figure out why I came up with the conclusion that the drum I did get on the mutu 27" came in the first 4 hours before the hook showed rust. I originally thought it may be something to do with size but I'm going to stick with the rust on this one. Once the finish wore off of the hook it began to show rust, this was in the first 8 hours of use. I figure that if I can smell rust so can a fish and it will at the very least interfere with the smell of the bait so while the mutu's stayed super sharp throughout the time I fished them I won't use them in the surf anymore. At $4.00 or more per hook its an easy decision.

Going to a 8/0 gami stainless circle (slightly opened and offset once I get them home) for Stripers this season and I'll provide reviews. These are much bigger then the octopus hooks which I will still use on double rigs for clams and bloodowrms.

I generally lose the gami's octopus before sharpening them...they are super sharp and stay that way for a long time.

The SS gami's I just got are the big eye and I don't know how they will hold a point yet.

Interesting point about the rust - never thought about the smell before! I think i'll change my hooks more often now lol

I don't fish with rusty hooks in general, just never had one rust out while fishing it. Pretty sure those mutus would still take a while to rust out of a fish though.