4 posts in this topic

taken from another thread:

Sure, fish that just comes unbuttoned or never stick happens, but shouldn't happen when it's fishermans error (knots/tanglement/drag to tight...etc, which is gear/tackle). Thats what ticks me off!

Sam, I was ticked when that happened because I figured I wouldn't catch another. Low and behold caught several more that day. That was a fun day!

I think I was there the morning you lost that one in your lines, you were still pissed 6 hours later. It is quite a dance you must do when you hookup running 3+ lines in a 70 yard lineup. I never know what I'll do until its happening.

What do you guys do if you're fishing alone and you get tangled with a nice fish on the line?

I haven't had it happen YET because I try and make the fish come to me and not let it take me down the beach. I'm using 20 lb (breaks around 25)vs the 15 or 17 ya'll use though so I can button it down and turn the fish with more confidence.

Is it just boat method/over under until you get it right? If it's bad how about letting a lot of line out on the stationary rods and trying it that way.

I'm interested to see what you've done in the past that has worked or didn't. I'll be logging some solo time this spring and want to have a trick or two. I want to say that if I can not get a drum tangled by myself then I can handle a striper but at some point there will be sharks involved as well and they'll really ruin a lineup.

lol,,,now what are you saying Ben, I can't handle a striper or are you saying your man enough to handle a drum and drive hime where ever you want...come on man, give me a break!,,,I mean your a tough guy and all, but MAN!

There will be times when you shank one left, not realizing you may have crossed your line or close enough to where if one runs it could be over or under your line regardless of lb line. Heck, I have had it happen with a kingfish...lol

Maybe I wrote that wrong.

I haven't had it happen YET and I know it's going to happen eventually so I want to know what has worked and what hasn't. I've also been lucky that most (75% or so) of what I've caught has been on the end of the spread so I only have one way to worry about when the run. Didn't mean it to sound like I had remote control fish...definitely not the case.

Has nothing to do with being "manly" and didn't mean to sound like an :bootyshake: just that I used heavier gear and after the first run or two or 3 I can stop the fish if I need to most times and wait for it to turn back the way I want...then I'll give it some line as encouragement to keep going that way. I liked the what you said about letting it run and clear the lines before working further, just wondering if anyone else used that or had any ideas.

Now I've had some blues and kings really muck up a spread though when they work the sinker lose and start washing into the beach across the lines. So I can't really say it hasn't happened yet, just not with a target species.

Ben I was joking...see the lol...I thought the whole thing was funny.

One thing that might help me is having a higher visibility line. My eye sight sucks as it is.