10 posts in this topic

I think I have discussed this before but I am taking apart a couple reels for the first time (I hope I don't have any extra pieces left over after reassemblly :D ) and am wondering if anyone can suggest a good lube for the bearings,,,any suggestions?

Thanks, Scott

I had to take apart one of my reels this sumer to make some repairs watch out for some litttle springs all I did was pick up some oil and lube at wal mart proublety not the best but it worked fine. Penn, Daiwa and others make some so theres alot out there.

David

I use Penn grease and oil on all my reels.

If it's good nuff for the Penn, then it's better than good for the others.

Some shops carry it and you can get it direct from Penn.

I use Penn grease and oil on all my reels.

If it's good nuff for the Penn, then it's better than good for the others.

Some shops carry it and you can get it direct from Penn.

I agree, I use the Penn stuff too but Quantum (reels) has a red synthetic grease out called "Hot Sauce" which some of my friends swear-by.

You got to be careful what you use synthetic on, it can actually eat plastic parts.

By all means, use it on Quantum's products, otherwise I'd stick to something that's been around for decades and works on everything.

:lol:

Went to get the box last night with the parts list and found bottles of lube that came with the penn reels,,,I'll use that for the bearings and plain white lithium grease for the gears,,,thanks again, Scott

well, all my soldiers are ready for some action,,,no extra parts leftover :o ,,,shined, lubed and ready to go,,,just need to spool them up with some line,,,I was thinking on changing my line with something that just rolls off the reel smoothly,,,been using 17lb sufix tritanium,,,any other suggestions?

picture_453_189.jpg.eb045b27ed8118889884

That is a BEAUTIFUL picture. Man, I seriously can't wait to get out there. I went to Walmart today and looked at em hard. The reel is about 150 and the rods are nearly 100. I just can't afford it right now. Gotta budget... Retirement plan.. Fishing rod... Gas bill.. Fishing reel... Electric bill... Jeez :|

Sam, I think if I buy one more reel or rod, my wife may make me sleep with the fishes :lol: ,,,I can't afford to buy anymore equipment :( ,,,I would love a new rod,,,Got those 525's off ebay for around 130 brand new, includes shipping and no tax,,,I got a sweet deal on the 535 (the one in the back) from capt Macs,,,it was sitting in his shop for a while and sold it to me for 90,,,I jumped on that one,,,the 535 gives me some blow ups, but I still love the reel,,,april is right around the corner,,,do you plan on putting as much time in this spring as last year?,,,I think we both logged alot of hours, expecially at night,,,man, I cant wait,,,making my spring work schedule up for the impending busy golf season and plan on scheduling to accomodate for some serious fishing this spring.