9 posts in this topic

Well as most of you all know my tranny gave me a heck of a time yesterday on AI, had to drive from about two miles south of the bullpen to the ranger station in reverse, lol , talk about a pain in the neck, anyway I got underneath today and readjusted my tranny bands, first I found the aod band was loose and the intermidiate band was dead on. started it up and again no luck, sounds like the torque converter is trying to engage, I believe my pump has given out(not given enough pressure build up to engage the converter, anyway I had to call Salisbury Transmission and they were extremely pleasant to deal with, very helpful even wiling to tow my truck for free. I got an estimate of 1800 for a rebuild with an aftermarket shift kit for off roading or 2900 for a new tranny, I was told it just all depends what they find, and what i want, I will keep everyone posted on how things go. I was also told I could possibly get it back same day- 4 days most. :3gears:

Dave, I hope it's not too expensive for ya and you're back on the beach in no time.

I think I am going to leave the older explorer for the mud and off road use only, the new explorer will be for the beach only because of the difference in tires.

sorry to hear this Dave, better now then durring the Striper Run:glasses1:

true, it is goona run me 2900 but it will have a performance shift kit installed an a 75k 5 year warranty, so i wont have to worry bout it ever again.

The rebuild should hold up fine, comes with a guarantee, right?

With two 4x4's, you can equip one for Stripers and the other for Charkeys! :D

The rebuild should hold up fine, comes with a guarantee, right?

With two 4x4's, you can equip one for Stripers and the other for Charkeys! :D

never thought of it that way!:happy10: :happy10:

dave are you running in 4hi or low? this may also be your problem.being an auto your truck may not have the power to turn the bigger tires.ie putting alot of stress on the trans making it work to much, therefore overheating.also i would still let air out down to about 15 poudns in those tires.when i had my 12.5 tires on 10 inch rims i would float across the sand.way eaiser than the less agressive tires and skinier rims im running now.

Travis I was runnin in 4 auto without much trouble, it does seem to work more now than when i had the regular radials on, but it gave no signs at all just let go. I have put a tranny cooler in and when it happened tranny temps were warm to be expected but not hot. never overheated nor lost fluid, I think from what i was told the last time it was rebuilt it was not rebuilt correctly causing the premature failure. anyway I am not getting a rebuilt tranny I bought a new tranny geared to take the pounding this time.