18 posts in this topic

New line reel filled, and the line blows up. When do you go to the surgical knife??? How long do you spend on getting the back lash undone??? Techniques with out surgery??? When you go to the knife any specific techniques???

I was having a serious problem with bird's nests last fall and finally decided to take my reels apart. They were relatively new (5-6 months) but I was surprised at how much sand/salt they had. After cleaning and proper lube, I haven't had a bit of trouble. Also, you might want to check out magging if you haven't already. I think Coop is our resident magging genius.

Night time: immediately stow it, the over 40 blurry vision wins.

Daytime fishing sucks: work on it until you clear it.

Daytime fishing good: cut it out and get that bait out there.

Daytime fishing great: grab another rod, any rod!

Best time to clear the reel: Home watching TV with the wife and she has the controls, take as long as you like, it's better than HGTV.

Your first conventional? :blob1: won't be the last. Just don't give up, practice and practice. Start off with shorts and adjust by minor increments. Increase distance, repeat. Find a high school field, preferably on a Sunday when the kids aren't practicing. Then start aiming for the goal posts. After that, you can learn it all over again when the bait is ruining the aerodynamics. Then do it at night when the moon is new, and learn it all over again.

Backlashes...hatem but they happen. I use scissors and just cut it out if I can't pick it out. Sometimes knives can scratch the spool if your not careful. If I can't pick it out in few minutes or less, the rod is getting my back up reel. After quickly heaving out the chunk, I then take the scissors and just start cutting and then respool. I am with Old Bald Guy, whether it sucks or great, get the bait out their quick.

I always have this unsettleing feeling that if I spend time picking, a fish just swam where my bait would of been and was probably the only fish that was out in the ocean that whole day and guess what...dam thing missed my bait cause I was to busy fiddling with this darn reel:D .

I immediatly replace the rod with a backup in my spread and then get to work on it. I almost always cut it out and back it down to around 200 yards left on spool and blood knot it up and respool the top 200 yds. I'll go for a full do-over when I get home. Its a predictable process and I'm back out with a long toss in about 15 minutes, just in time to check the bait on the replacement rod.

I immediatly replace the rod with a backup in my spread and then get to work on it. I almost always cut it out and back it down to around 200 yards left on spool and blood knot it up and respool the top 200 yds. I'll go for a full do-over when I get home. Its a predictable process and I'm back out with a long toss in about 15 minutes, just in time to check the bait on the replacement rod.

That is dedication!

That is dedication!

Nah, I'm just experienced in blowups.:angry4:

Nah, I'm just experienced in blowups.:angry4:

you aint the only one i had at least one blowup per trip last year( learning curve).

Use a spinning reel and no worries mon:icon_thumright: like a beautiful woman who always says "yes" the spinning reel will rarely let u down

I grew up on spinners and went Conventional last year. Took me a bit, but with some practice and a bunch of line, I ain't half bad now.

Key is Practice! What kind of reel are you throwing?

You could always mag it or use some oil to slow it down....

Again, while doing research for the site, I was able to find information on just this subject. I placed the information under the state of Maine.