11 posts in this topic

I want to have a custom built but don't a builder.I'm thinking about a 1509 or1569, 12ft conventional . I not sure of reel yet. avet maybe pro gear.Any advice would help.

Coop's been building, I'm building, 8nbait builds and there are some local guys as well.

I would spring the extra for the 1569. I just built a 1502 and trimmed the butt and tip a bit, threw 10's and a big chunk all day for drum yesterday, no problems at all. Caught 2 bigguns on it and it fought great. Much lighter then the 1509's.

thanks Charkbait ,I though you guys only built for yourselfs do you have any pics of your work? I am leaning twards 1569.

Check the rod building forums, I'm doing a few for friends etc. Really just some bait and a 6 pack will git-r-done by me. I don't have any good pics on there but I'll try and get better shots together. Not that the work is bad IMO, just not optimal lighting or glare.

I'm going to do a rod for BOHICA this month and maybe 2 rebuilds for oliver (Igormothra) so if you are on the boards you're good by me. I really like building rods so its a privledge for me.

Phil, If you need anyone to build ya one, I would be more than happy to help you out. Right now I am doing three builds for a few people, couple from this site, so I am getting pretty busy and am looking to start fishing and less building. Just started a virginia tech rod on a 1569 and is really looking very cool with the colors. Wasn't sure about the white as underwrap (not crazy about the lighter colors), but has turned out awsome. I will post a couple more pics when it's done and am really happy with the way it's looking (pic of but section, the helmet matches the thread almost exact but with the pic, they look different, not sure why, but in fact they are very close in color...still finishing up on the guides). I also just finished another 1569 with blue metallic with silver underwrapping. This one turned out great also but never get a snapshot of the rod. I am going to build a 1569 with these colors for me. Just got a new blue avet, looks wise, this combo is going to be a knockout!

Not asking for money, just doing it for fun right now. I think down the road, I may get into building for some cash.

The hardest problem I had at first was the epoxy. I have finally got down the art of epoxy. I now get a perfect smooth mirror finish, which I've found the hardest part in the beginning. I am no expert and have built only 8 rods so far and with the last two, the results have been darn near perfect.

vt1.jpg.a192dc274ab212ca36643271650b26c7

vt2.jpg.3cf7d03abdb0672c892e9a5b7072814f

Scott, very nice!

Thanks scott if you could help me out that would be great!!!! Your work looks very nice. Let me know what I need to do.

Phil,

I got a 1502 RS and a 1569 RS.

I love both of them, but the 1502 is easier to load in my opinion and you can fish all day with it without getting heavy (not that the 1569 is heavy). I didn't cut anything and it was my first custom, not to mention my first conventional as well.

1509 is heavier and a bit more challenging, but will tame a beast that is for sure!

Can't go wrong with a 525Mag!

Coop,

Sweet VPI Rod your building there!

Call it the "Beamer"!:icon_pray:

Nice rod coop!! I think a maroon avet MXL 4.5 with orange line would go great with that rod :happy8:

Any one do trades for Fishing rods? I do one of a kind wood carvings...would be willing to trade for a good surf rod.................just a thought:alien: