24 posts in this topic

Fished from 6:00 pm Wednesday through Friday at 2:00pm.

Wednesday night arrived solo to a 20kt cold NE wind and incoming tide, set up out on a nice point with some shoals right out front of the bar. Fished 3 rods that night. Talked to the wife around 9:00 and no sooner then I hung up my tica was screaming off so needless to say I was very excited, got down there and hooked up. I got a very good fight from a 25" drum, definitely superior to a 36" striper IMO. By the time I got finished measuring, weighting and photos I decided to keep the fish because I had it out of the water for so long. Things were quiet until around 12:00 then I got 2 doggies and as I released the second my OM doubled over and started screaming line off. Got over to it and it pulled tight as well, landed a nice over slot pup after a great fight again. Around 1:30 the outgoing was to the point where I had very little water in my spot so I decided to turn it in around 2:00 am.

Woke up at 6:00 the next morning and fished the incoming again at the same point, I had a steady pick of doggies and blues were pecking the baits in a big way. Wind had shifted SE and the tide brought in the GRASS, especially on my shoals. I packed it up at 9:00 and decided to look for some cleaner water since my 10oz frong tongues couldn't hold for more then a few minutes. Headed down the beach only a couple hundred yards to a nice deep hole near a break in the bar that I almost fished the night before. I liked it because I'm lazy and didn't want to wade and throw over the bar and I thought the water was moving less and the grass wouldn't be as much of a problem. Had a steady pick of blues on the last of the incoming and slack high. Headed out for bait around 1:00 because I wanted FRESH for Thursday eve which was setting up really nice with an incoming at dusk and a SSE wind. On the way out ran into CG and told him I'd see him after swapping out some bait. Came back to find him not 70 yards from where I was parked before...made me feel really good about my location selection! I pulled up abut 75 yards and set up shop around 2:00 on the outgoing and prepared to fish it the next 12 hours. Consensus was that the fish would come in with the wind/tide/and dark so with a whole lot of faith and fishing next to a whole bunch of MOJO I baited and waited for the next 6 hours and only picked up a 18" blue for my troubles. I ran 2-3 rods most of the time but dropped down to 2 at night. Around 9:30 it all changed for the better.

The RS 1502 I just built was set up about 40 yards from my truck and was the far rod in the spread, pretty close to the last of the shoals I fished the night before and morning. The rod slams down and starts squealing, by the time I got there I was down about 100 yard of line and really wanted to turn the fish. I did stop the beast and ran in to the wash gaining about 50 yards of line back quickly, from there it was a nice tug o war for the next 10-12 minutes. We had a good current that was running through my lines down to CG and I didn't want to take the fish down through all that so I held my ground and played the fish keeping it out of the other rods. This fish really used the backwash and current and it took me a while to get my shocker on the spool, once I did I locked it down and surfed it up on the next wave.

CG and Coleman's nephew (totally forget his name) were down in the wash about 100 yards away and I could not get their attention at all so I had to wing it on the landing. I'm glad I got to do it solo because I wasn't sure how it would go. The fish was 46x27 and 44 lbs on my hand scale and a thing of beauty after 28 hours on sand. Got the pics and after a very long revive got the fish on it's way. This one drummed the whole time I handled it, pretty cool.

I got settled in again and got fresh baits out, I guess it was my second cast after the 46” when I tossed the 1502 out but didn’t like the release on the cast so I pulled it in immediately and re-tossed. I must have hit the fish in the head because I no sooner got the clicker set and turned my back to go to the other rod and it starts really going off. I got set up on this one but it did not want to turn at all so back into the wash I went and got some line back. I knew this one was much bigger, it had no quit and was still pulling a ton of drag and line even after a few minutes. I had a tough time getting this one in the wash and when I did the battle just really started. Back and forth using the outsuck and waves we went until finally I had the fish and I parallel to the beach about 50 yards out, then I got blindsided by a wave and dunked my reel, headlamp etc. I never went under but the wave hitting me in the shoulder was enough to splash up and over my head. I got pretty aggressive at that point since I didn’t have any lines around and closed the distance to the fish and got the shocker on the spool and surfed the fish up onto the beach. I was shocked at the size of my nemesis…where was the rest of it? The drum was still citation size at 40x22 and 28 lbs but it fought like a goliath, I guess it was more athletic but god did it fight. I don’t know if it bulldogged the whole time so I couldn’t gain on it but it really gave me a run. Got all weighed and measured and ran down to CG to get a couple pics, they still didn’t know I even had a fish until I showed up. My camera acted up and I only got a couple shots with no flash, I had to doctor the shots so you could even see anything. I’ll attach both versions. After my long revive on the 46 I hurried down to the water and got the 40 in, as soon as it hit the wash it tail smacked me and off it went…should have taken my time and got some good pics! That fish sure had a lot of spunk, I’ll put it up there with my AI 48”.

Got both within 1.5 hours of each other and fished until around 2:00 before sleeping until 7:00. CG cooked up the 25” I caught for breakfast, man was it tasty! Completed the trip by tossing bait until 2:00 with zip, not even a sniff and then headed home a happy man. Around 10:30 CG packed up and went looking for another spot, hope he found the fish…its only a matter of time really…

This trip made my year and its only March. Big thanks to Crtitter Gitter for the helping hand on everything NC especially reading a carved up beach…it’s a totally different world down there.

DSCF0012_edited.JPG.feb2e387933c54aea394

5852a5034d9de_25inchRed.JPG.f55bf7c00402

5852a50351b5f_27inchRed.JPG.4c0d183d11c3

5852a50355b38_16inchblue.JPG.234e6eb53ba

5852a5035a345_38inchDog.JPG.9997fad69bba

5852a5035f2cd_15inchblue.JPG.954a72765f2

DSCF0023.jpg.f48395dd18645183918f5a0c35a

5852a50366fd5_46inchdrum2.JPG.0b896fe8af

DSCF0016_edited.JPG.bc02a0bda41e42b75ad0

Whoah! Nice fish and report! Great job and thanks for sharing. :icon_thumleft:

Great job Ben, I never hooked up. After 3rd cast today I said thats it. Shoulder could not take it any more and packed it up. We came down from the North End after grassing up and tried to find our hole last night. Beach was packed everywhere. Finally found the hole and sure enough someone was hooked up in your tire tracts. Looked to be about 46 to 48 and was his first. Anyhow I never hooked up fished till midnight last night. Heard there were a few caught at the Inlet but must have been 50 people stacked there.

BTW when you hook up your suppoed to scream FISH ON so the rest of us skunkers can come down and langish in your excitement.

That drive is sure a haul. Think I am done down there for another year. Man I loved that hole. I think you were right about those bannanas I brought to the beach. First time I can ever remember gettin skunked down there. Sure was some pretty few days though.

Ben I think you out fished the entire beach.

Forgot to mention. Jerry got a 26in pup at the North End and I got a 30in only mine had already been caught and was dragging around sinker and rig. I snagged the thing winding in. Took rig out of his mouth and returned pup to water. Sure did him a favor. I walked down the beach and found the owner of the rig and returned. Told him he had a 30in on it and asked whose fish was it? He said it was mine. lol

Geez the only fish I caught and I didn't really catch it.

Great report!

Congrats on the Drums.I have been wondering how you guys were doing down there.

Fresh "beach-cooked" Puppy Drum is about as good as it gets!

Glad to hear that Jerry from the Coleman Clan was fishing with you.Those Colemans can really catch some fish.

Can't wait to hear how Dave did.

Funny....GC,we must have been writing at the same time.

Glad you guys got back ok...it really is a long trip.

Thanks Erik. On my way back thru Buxton I almost took that right to the point knowing they were catching fish but thought best to save my shoulder for AI. It was hard to do. Gettin harder and harder to fish the crowds anymore. Finding a hole like at Ocra. and spiking rods is way to go these days.

One heck of report Ben! Glad you got into them. Wish I could get down there and fish this time of year.

Way to go, Ben! Thanks for a great report.

Great job Ben!!!! :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: I hope to tangle with a drum this year.

well, I should have gone with you Ben. I thought about it for a couple days and wound up goin down friday night to tuna fish on saturday. got 1.5 hours of sleep before getting up to go offshore. well, one of the boats wouldn't start and on the second one we got about 25 miles out and started rigging when the newbie of the group said "where's the land.. Oh my God! I can't see land!..." and was gettin pretty scared. I thought it was kinda funny but then he snapped and started to get violent and almost threw someone off the boat! He kept saying that we needed to go back because he was having a panic attack. after about 20 minutes of trying to convince him to give it a try we turned around, boy was I hot!:angryfire: . Probably should have told him land was straight ahead (techinally africa was) anyways that ended saturday offshore. went down to Rodanthe to see a friend at hatteras jack's and was coming back over the bonner bridge when my cell phone service came back on. couple new voicemails and the last one was someone saying "Matt! I don't know if you brought your rod with you but the drum are chewin the point up!" that was a little off, but there was a bite. I did have my rod but I was not in my truck so I didn't have a ride. i wound up going to TW's tackle and saw someone there who was going to the point. we arranged and I met him at Red Drum Tackle (I get around) and got a ride on the beach. sun was gettin ready to go down and there were a lot of people there. I quickly caught 3 dogs in about 10 minutes. figured the drum and doggies pretty don't run together so put my rod down until the doggies stopped blitzing....about 2 hours later:angry5: walked a couple hundred yards down the beach to a point where there was fairly deep water and tried there and got another 3 doggies in about 10 more minutes and then my ride was leaving so it was time for me to pack it up. got a speeding ticket in Avon doing 64. thought 9 over the limit was petty and then the officer said "no, it was 19 over" guess I just missed the sign from 55 to 45. oh well, since they make you appear in court now I have an excuse to go to the OBX in the end of june:eusa_shifty: got back in time to catch 2.5 hours of sleep. woke up sunday at 4:30 am to go tuna fishing on a make-up charter. got to oregon-inlet and there was discussion about whether to go because the wind was shifting. we decided to go and it was rough. we were trolling in 8-10 ft. seas with a rogue 12-13. the captain got scared and said we are goin in. 4 of the 6 guys we had have never been in the gulf stream until today and that was their introduction. I got sea sick for the first time ever this morning! on the way in the captain said "you guys get in the cabin, you are not allowed on the deck!" that's when you know it's rough. no boats caught any fish that I know of. we were in around noon. now I have had like 6 hours of sleep since thursday and I have to say up all night to study because I have class in the morning. I am going to hate monday! this is why I don't go fishing on school weekends! I get too burnt out.

Matt, bummer man. Sea sick, moron on the boat, doggies and speeding ticket... To top it all off, no sleep! That's a bad combo, buddy.

Wow Matt - rough trip! you know how life balances out though - your next trip is sure to be killer!

Great job Ben, I never hooked up. After 3rd cast today I said thats it. Shoulder could not take it any more and packed it up. We came down from the North End after grassing up and tried to find our hole last night. Beach was packed everywhere. Finally found the hole and sure enough someone was hooked up in your tire tracts. Looked to be about 46 to 48 and was his first. Anyhow I never hooked up fished till midnight last night. Heard there were a few caught at the Inlet but must have been 50 people stacked there.

BTW when you hook up your suppoed to scream FISH ON so the rest of us skunkers can come down and langish in your excitement.

That drive is sure a haul. Think I am done down there for another year. Man I loved that hole. I think you were right about those bannanas I brought to the beach. First time I can ever remember gettin skunked down there. Sure was some pretty few days though.

Ben I think you out fished the entire beach.

Forgot to mention. Jerry got a 26in pup at the North End and I got a 30in only mine had already been caught and was dragging around sinker and rig. I snagged the thing winding in. Took rig out of his mouth and returned pup to water. Sure did him a favor. I walked down the beach and found the owner of the rig and returned. Told him he had a 30in on it and asked whose fish was it? He said it was mine. lol

Geez the only fish I caught and I didn't really catch it.

Shame you didn't find the feesh, thought for sure you would. Must have been the bananas!

News travels fast, got to TW to air up and they knew I got 2 somehow. Must have been the guys nearby.

Got it now, FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't want to be the cause of us getting crowded out so I chose to be quiet

Got a funny story for ya'll on the ferry ride back, I took the chance to get a quick nap. I was one of the trucks on the front rail and had my windows down napping with the breeze. Guess I was dreaming away when I hear a clicker start screaming off. I immediately shoot up and honk the horn in the process scaring everyone on the rail and myself. Turns out the clicker was someone winding up a disposable camera near my window! That's was nothing but fishing for 40+ hours will get you...fish on the brain.

Sorry to hear that Matt, bad trip all around sounds like.

Got a funny story for ya'll on the ferry ride back, I took the chance to get a quick nap. I was one of the trucks on the front rail and had my windows down napping with the breeze. Guess I was dreaming away when I hear a clicker start screaming off. I immediately shoot up and honk the horn in the process scaring everyone on the rail and myself. Turns out the clicker was someone winding up a disposable camera near my window! That's was nothing but fishing for 40+ hours will get you...fish on the brain.

Sorry to hear that Matt, bad trip all around sounds like.

LOL Very funny.

Ben too funny, you seem to be tuned in to the Coleman way of fishing. Put out couple rods with heads, go to bed and let clicker wake you up. If it doesn't wake you you will awaken with a fish already beached 100 yds down the beach in the morning. Hopefully not a dead drum though.

yeah man, I can't hold the rods or be too close to them. I don't trust myself with the circle hooks. I even make myself count to 5 (unless its really smoking) when I get to the rod before tightening up. Missed a few nice fish early on by running to the rod and setting too quickly, now I let em eat. It'll bite me soon or later but for now its working nicely.

I can stand the no sleep, I can stand the speeding ticket, but I can't stand when something or someone gets in my way of fishing. he wanted to go in when it was like a pond out there because it made him nervous that he didn't see land. the next day the captain is looking at me like I belong in a loony bin because I'm leaning over the edge of a boat, puking, falling all over the place, still saying I would stay out. I would have driven to okie but had no ride on the sand.

I get that kinda thing to but the funniest I think was when I was driving home from work in falls church which is a long ways from any salt water and I saw a bunch of birds "working" (probably over rats or something) and I got so excited I had to pull over and almost got in an accident.

I can stand the no sleep, I can stand the speeding ticket, but I can't stand when something or someone gets in my way of fishing. he wanted to go in when it was like a pond out there because it made him nervous that he didn't see land. the next day the captain is looking at me like I belong in a loony bin because I'm leaning over the edge of a boat, puking, falling all over the place, still saying I would stay out. I would have driven to okie but had no ride on the sand.

that would really get to me man, if you get on the boat you're on for the duration. I know no one can control a panic attack but if you are prone to that stuff don't go out or take something to chill you out at least.