4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I was in Gander Mtn today and I had some compelling reason to buy my first conventional reel. Everyone talks about the 525mag so I went ahead and bought it to use as a learning reel. I also got a nice new 10' Tica rated for 2 -8 oz to mount the reel on.

So being I never touched a conventional before anyone want to give me some info on how to use it. Like when the reel should be in free spool, or the proper way to adjust the spool tension. Any other thing I should know about?

On a side note I also went ahead and bought some 65lb power pro to put on this reel, also my first adventure to the dark side of braid. I think I am going to put some mono on the reel first till i learn how to use it, so my learning curve doesn't cost me 30 dollars in braided line. When I do eventually put the braid on, should I put mono on first or just use electrical tape first as some people mention?

first thing is to clean and re-lube the bearings in the spool !!

spool tension = very slight side to side movement

start with mono 17 lb test suffix

reel needs to be in freespool to cast

out of freespool drag backed off for fishing

there is a lot of info on 'tuning a 525 mag '

i tried to get into neils site , but forgot my password :eek:

try google and see if it will bring up his instructions . i know they are posted all over the net

found this one Neil Mackellow

some pics http://www.pennfishing.com/hints_and_tips/reel_tuning/525_mag/ :)

Great choice on the reel,but,do yourself a favor before fishing,ditch the 10 ft.Tica.They are not the best conv. rods as my 10 footer does not have enough guides to KEEP the line from running along,or even under the blank while fighting the drag runners.Ive changed to solaris for the budget rods.

I learned to cast a conventional reel by using a 6 foot rod in my driveway and then I went over to Stinky Beach and practiced there with the 6 footer then once I got more comfortable with it I went to the 12 footers. Just seemed easier for me to start small and work my way up.