15 posts in this topic

Harbor Tackle just received their first fresh bunker of the season. We also have fresh chowder clams for sale.

I gess I should have fished today. I never did find that hoody Bev. I don't know what that boy did with it?

Bev., what is the difference between chowder and ocean clams? I need some clams this spring for black drum fishing on the Del bay. I have been told that ocean clams are what they want??? Some say they are different, some say not. What say you.

Thanx

There is a difference in ocean clams and chowder clams. Black drum like the ocean clams better and the chowder clams may do in a pinch. Ocean clams are also called sea clams. Sea clams are hard to find fresh - I have them frozen.

Caught a mess of black drum on chowder clams. IMO, you will not catch less of anything using the chowders over the sea clam. I think they both work equally as well, whether for stripers or drum.

Fished both at the bridge tunnel this spring caught 15 drum only one on chowder. I like using the chowder better less mess and smell:icon_oak: but will stick with what works. The sharks liked the chowders.

I was reading you alls e-mails, back home in Texas we use crabs for black drum. I was wondering if the crabs worked here.. I am in northern VA. now but do my fishing in OC about three to four times a year. Would be nice to hit the drum season when ever it is back home the drum run from Feb to mid March... On a lighter note when in OC I do all my shoping at the local shops... I was really disappointed when S/town was sold... Now there is a piece of OC that will never return... Gents and Ladies support the local folks you'll miss them when they are gone.

There is a difference in ocean clams and chowder clams. Black drum like the ocean clams better and the chowder clams may do in a pinch. Ocean clams are also called sea clams. Sea clams are hard to find fresh - I have them frozen.

Hi Joe,

Peeler Crabs work great for black drum as well.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker and chowder clams for the weekend.

Bev - i'll be there Sat morning as well. How late will you be open Friday night by the way? If I can get there early enough, might stop by Friday night for a couple things as well.

When do the black drum start coming in?

Around the middle of May. They only run for about a week or so, so get your gear squared away before then! Clams, sand fleas and crab work great with small (4/0) circles. They suck on the bait, so keep an eye on those rods!

Around the middle of May. They only run for about a week or so, so get your gear squared away before then! Clams, sand fleas and crab work great with small (4/0) circles. They suck on the bait, so keep an eye on those rods!

Wow - wouldn't it be great if they were around for the spring fling!?!?

Wow - wouldn't it be great if they were around for the spring fling!?!?

LOL... Now you see the method for my madness! :book1: