6 posts in this topic

NE1 using/doing??

one of my co-workers who's into freshwater Bassin' says this is the latest crazy in building bait casting rods.

so has anyone tried this for conventional surf casting rods:icon_scratch:

maybe not the best pic

5852a502b4412_sprialwrappedrod.jpg.ec17b

not sure you get the benefit bass fishing but they are great trolling setups and for heavy offshore fishing. I'm going to convert my 3 kayak rods to spiral wraps because my reels are heavy.

I though about doing it for surf casting but since it's all about distance you don't want your line to have any more friction then necessary.

The benefit is in having the guides follow the spine of the rod as a spinning rod would. Anyone who has faught a fish with a top heavy conventional rod will appreciate this. Because the guides are on the bottom of the blank and it curves the way it "wants to" the reel will sit on top with no effort from you at all. With heavy reels it is a great benefit and negates the need for a gimbal.

I don't see that much difference in a bass rod though maybe when using heavy lures or big lipped crank baits.

ok, thanks Ben. it just looked a little odd to me.

and if you want to stop over tomorrow, after work, I'll be home @4:15pm

thats a great principal for boat, trolling, and bottom fishing rods..conventional only. makes the rod "balanced" not something that strikes me as a good idea on a surf stick because of what ben said. I saw a demonstration that made a lot of sense to me when I was at the show. the spine doesn't make as much of a deal as everyone thinks in this case. you could have the spine reversed and the line would still want to sit on the bottom.

I have seen a couple custom surf sticks with the spiral wrap. The report I read was that it in no way effects casting distance or helps it. The report also states there is no advantage to having a spiral wrap on surf sticks, so why bother.

I have used it on 9 and 10 foot rods with great sucess. Did not seem to change casting distance for me either.