13 posts in this topic

I have always wonderered why if the White Marlin Open is such a big fishing tournament with so many boats and huge payouts - why is there no coverage of it on any espn or any of the outdoor channels or shows. There are so many other tournaments I see coverered. Just have wondered thought someone might know the answer - curious

I have always wonderered why if the White Marlin Open is such a big fishing tournament with so many boats and huge payouts - why is there no coverage of it on any espn or any of the outdoor channels or shows. There are so many other tournaments I see coverered. Just have wondered thought someone might know the answer - curious

I've tried, several times. sore subject:angry7:

Really - not sure why - something makes no sense here

I think it had to-do wth keeping a low profile and the amount of $$$ being tossed around in the calcutta's and marina bets that Jim was afraid the IRS or someone else trying to get a cut

Find that a little hard to believe as it is no secret as to the money that is thrown around in the tournament. Just a wierd thing to me. SHADEY

Find that a little hard to believe as it is no secret as to the money that is thrown around in the tournament. Just a wierd thing to me. SHADEY

me too but thats what I was always lead to believe.

would have been nice to see it on TV, maybe one day:icon_salut:

I'm going to GUESS on this one....

I think the reason why there is no coverage on this is:

MONEY

In order to make a decent show you would have to have Coverage on chosen boats. Much like the East Coast v. West Coast on OLN.

With such BIG Money at stake - Who is going to allow a camera man on their boat to Film? With spots, techniques, trolling speeds, lures, colors, bait, etc... Are all held Near and Dear to the boat.

I for one would NOT want a camera man showing the world how we fish for a bill knowing there is Huge payouts @ the end.

Just a Guess....

Its also a nearly endangered fish. I know its a largly C&R tourney but there are fish killed and it could catch the eye of the wrong people.

I'm with Ben on this one, it might not be a great PR move for the network.

To get the absolute truth you would have to be on the inside, way inside...

Nah, this goes way-back before the whole C&R thing, I tried several times in the late 80's toget coverage and Jim Motsko (WMO owner/director) wasn't intrested, eventhough ESPN was interested in the deal back then but Motsko nixxed the idea :eusa_shifty:

I also dont believe in the fact that people wouldn't want cameras on the boats, hell half the fisherman I know are camers hogs:happy5: and as far as seeing what everone tows, nope not that either. its not rocket science, its all about the Benjamins:happy3:

I figure it is a money thing. Just seems so silly that we have this amazing tournament that goes unnoticed. I am sure it is a greed thing - these things usually are. Rubbish

I figure it is a money thing. Just seems so silly that we have this amazing tournament that goes unnoticed. I am sure it is a greed thing - these things usually are. Rubbish

I agree 100%, some of the magazines do pick-up some of the coverage but only a paragraph or 2:eusa_shifty:

we could try again:happy2:

I agree 100%, some of the magazines do pick-up some of the coverage but only a paragraph or 2:eusa_shifty:

we could try again:happy2:

I also agree it's basically the $$. I got into a thread on another site about the circle hooks and having IGFA observers onboard and the first response i got was about not trusting the observers or the observers being bought. As for attracting attention every body and their grandma is there! It's a wonder the competitors and the tourney workers can get in! This year parking permits? I know the tourneys here in OC bring in alot of $ for the resort but I'm a little

put off about the carnival atmosphere that has evolved around them. One of the vendors at the tuna tourney was quoted as saying he was watching video coverage at the scales from his lap top and not leaving his booth! I also think hanging Marlin at the scale when ESPN does the BXRL would bring some neg results. And why promte that circle hooks are not required? That runs counter to the other televised tourneys where circle get bonus RELEASE points. Sorry for the rant guys but it's just my opinion. OC has some great tourneys the organizers should always be looking to improve them!