20 posts in this topic

Well as stated above I hit AI Monday, no fishin just had a friend from Michigan who just moved here and interested in surf fishing, anyway drove all the way down to the va line in really soft sand with only one or two other sets of tracks on the beach. I also failed to mention i dropped my tire pressure down to 20 psi like I usually do but this time it never occured to me that instead of my old 9 inch wide tires i know have 10.5 inch wide tires. anway heading back from the va line got to around the bull pen area and my overdrive light started flashing, remembering the last time it flashed my tranny died I stopped, shut her down let her sit about 10 minutes then started her up again, no more problems, i figured out I overheated the tranny cause of the extra wide tires (muddin tires) and not stopping the truck as if i was fishin, instead driving round trip non stop. guys my little truck aint a spring chicken anymore, well anyway went out today and installed a heavy duty tranny oil cooler along with the factory one. only cost me about $140.00 (diy), and about hour and a half of work. shifts seem to be smoother now. we will see how she does next time. I will also not let as much air out of my tires next time. they run normally @ 65psi, I will drop them to 40 and see how they fair. I cant afford to overhaul my tranny again. Figure 150 bucks is way better then 3 grand.

Wow, can you imagine doing that on a hot summer day?

I wish I knew how to install stuff like that... Cool thang, Dave.

Sam if you ever need one installed or any other work give me a holler, i will give you a very resonable offer. It is a side job for me, fixin friends vehicles or my own lol.

Thanks, Dave.. Might need ya this year. The old Jeep is whining a bit.:crybaby2:

Put one on my Durango and I have not had a problem since.. well worth the $$$

gotta remember the best tires for the sand are bald ones, those knobby shoes really take a bunch of effort to move bacause they dig in regardless of your pressure. You want to ride on top of the sand, can't do it with the diggers. Glad it turned out OK and you got the mod done and now you're ready for the season.

........ is to switch to a Full Synthetic Transmission Fuid, now it does cost more but the benifits outway the cost.

not only will it lower trans temps up to 40* but lets you go a little longer between fluid changes, which wth regular ATF should be done @30k under normal driving and @15k for hard driving, like off-road.

also switch to a synthertic gear oil next time you have your diffs fluid change, it also cause less drag on the driveline and your trans & engine wont have to work as hard.

oh and if you can find it, try a bottle of Red Line "Water Wetter" in the coolant system, helps to eliminate hot-spots in the coolant system which in turn helps keep the engine and tranny running cooler , its @$7.00 a bottle in most parts stores.

I was gonna switch to synthetic, just got a front diff leak, (very slow) could get pricey, gonna fix that soon, gotta tear the engine down first, got 150k on her and i wanna replace the valve cover gaskets, starting to seep, down side being might as well tear the whole thing down got to take the intake manifold off anyway to get to the valve covers, stupid 4 liter engine. well at least it is the pushrod and not the sohc. my 04 exploder has the sohc, no probs as of yet knock on wood.

Did ya use the one with a fan assist? Im also curious if you drained fluid from the whole tranny and put in a new filter after the overheat and for the new cooler installation. If not, you should. Overheated tranny fluid is worthless and very full of clutch particles, and it dont take too much heat to get it that way.

I added the Lucas trans additive to mine. Supposed to be good stuff. Time will tell. Im too cheap to switch to synthetic, but that stuff is proven to be very heat resistant.

Red Line fluids all over, Tru-Cool trans cooler, Diesel Stop in-line trans filter.

Darn sure agree, if you have overheated the trans, CHANGE THE FLUID!!!

If you throw a self-contained camper on top it is a priority that you use an after-market cooler. A trans temp gauge is a nice addition. Unfortunately, the stock in-dash units are complete junk.

You can also find higher capacity pans for most vehicles, a couple-few extra quarts helps with cooling. I don't use any additives with any fluids. A quality fluid will do fine without the extra junk.

Buy a cheap fluid and "Buyer Beware".

If you find yourself heating up, change to a lower gear to get the juices flowing faster. A good pressure is about 25% of the max pressure if you are running E range tires, 20% for D range. These numbers are for without a camper. It all depends on your vehicle weight, you don't want to peel the bead.

have not changed the fluid yet but i know it needs done, only driven the truck twice since then and only to get gas and leak check the new tranny cooler, will get the fluid changed asap, maybe tomorrow before work.

just changed the tranny fluid, man is that a messy job! added some lucas tranny stabilizer, that stuff is as thick as molasses, but have noticed you cant even feel the truck shift gears now. just got to keep an eye on the level for a day or so. figure i might as well get the truck ready for the beach! now to get new shocks.

I highly recommend Bilstein shocks, you WILL be impressed.

Good motivation on changing that fluid. I learned the hard way about that overheated fliud and lost my tranny a few hundred miles later. Didnt wanna see you do that. That Lucas stuff is THICK. Tip I got if you use it is to put in a half a quart of tranny fluid, then another. Then add the lucas to those two bottles. It then pours down the tube MUCH easier.

just changed the tranny fluid, man is that a messy job! added some lucas tranny stabilizer, that stuff is as thick as molasses, but have noticed you cant even feel the truck shift gears now. just got to keep an eye on the level for a day or so. figure i might as well get the truck ready for the beach! now to get new shocks.

Dave 1 question and not to sound like an ass, did you drain the tq convertor too? or just empty what was in the trans pan?

Dave 1 question and not to sound like an ass, did you drain the tq convertor too? or just empty what was in the trans pan?

Good point Randy. When I installed my new tranny, I bought a can of pressurized line flush solvent to get that old crap out of the radiator and lines and torque converter in his case.

Good point Randy. When I installed my new tranny, I bought a can of pressurized line flush solvent to get that old crap out of the radiator and lines and torque converter in his case.

yeah, so many just drain the pan which holds 4 to 5 or even 6 qts but don't drain the convertor which can also holds as much as 4 or 5 qts and if you dont do a complete drain and flush, your just adding new fluids to used fluids

yeah, so many just drain the pan which holds 4 to 5 or even 6 qts but don't drain the convertor which can also holds as much as 4 or 5 qts and if you dont do a complete drain and flush, your just adding new fluids to used fluids

randy, yes i drained the tq converter, i also found the pan was really clean to my surprise. i was expecting metal flakes or something, fluid was red and really clean no shiny flakes. besides it was due for a change in another 3 to 5 k anyway. trust me knowing the tranny is the weak point in the 96 explorer and already having it rebuilt once 40k ago, i didnt want to take any chances.

randy, yes i drained the tq converter, i also found the pan was really clean to my surprise. i was expecting metal flakes or something, fluid was red and really clean no shiny flakes. besides it was due for a change in another 3 to 5 k anyway. trust me knowing the tranny is the weak point in the 96 explorer and already having it rebuilt once 40k ago, i didnt want to take any chances.

way to-go Dave:icon_thumright:

I shut-up now:dark1:

way to-go Dave:icon_thumright:

I shut-up now:dark1:

randy, no hard feelings, i appreciate all the input, besides being an aircraft mechanic i know the importance of preventative maintenance. I also worked at a ford dealership for three years in PA as a tech.