23 posts in this topic

Well, it's time to join ocsnapper on the beachfront. Can't let Dave have all the fun. All gear is ready...time for the quest of finding "a" fish.

5852a500da61a_Picture798.jpg.4e95bc00bbb

good luck, purdy rigs Scott! Which is the 1569?

Ben, starting from left to right, tica rebuild, breakaway ldx that I trimed 3" from the bottom and a good 5" off the top, 1569, 1509, and a 1569 trimmed 6" from the bottom. The 3 rainshadows are from Gary Smith, the one on the right is my favorite, no underwrapp and 6" off the butt...lightweight.

A couple of the rods I built, tica rebuilts, I gave away. I wish I kept the red one since it was my first build.

Still waiting on a 1569 blank for me that will be matched up with a new avet sx. Not in any hurry. I still have some rods (two 1569's and a rebuild) to build for a few people.

I don't know about you Ben, but that building stuff is addictive!

very addictive Scott.

I'd seen the green one before so I knew that wasn't your build and knew you had a 1569 for yourself coming and figured your avet would land on that one.

I'm trying for one high end surf rod per year for myself, the rest of the time I'll build for other people. Seems like I've constantly had a rod going...ran out for next week momentarity but I need to finish my magging, spool up, and tie some rigs so its all good.

Still trying to get south this month.

Scott what time are you going to head out? Might just have to go myself :)

Dave, should be out around 8am until 2 pm. Come on out!

Scott, How do you deal with those Penns. I can't hear the clicker and they hardly hold any line.

Scott, How do you deal with those Penns. I can't hear the clicker and they hardly hold any line.

They're just stripers CG, then again not all of us are cathing 50+ pounders like you! Kidding, you gotta be quick!

What do you toss?

The old Daiwa SHV 30s with 17lb suffix. Don't get me wrong those mags feel like sweet reels and thats what most serious long throwers down OBX toss but they are holding their rods and not spiking 50 yds up the beach like us. Last spring at Okie guy next to me had a couple Drum runs spiking and we never heard a thing. Needless to say he lost those fish. Course he wasn't using circle hooks either. I like the feel of the 525s and they are much easier to thumb but I have never been a mag fan but that is just me. I love my 30s so much I bought 2 when I heard they stopped making them and still in the boxes. Great clickers, great drags and user friendly but I have large hands and some say the gear box gets in their way. I been cutting the red brakes in half out of the box as the whites are too light and the full reds are too heavy. Need to get a little fluff so you are always on the hairy edge of a backlash. All that said I think far more people throw the 525s over the 30s.

Dave, IMO, the clicker is plenty loud enough but after time, they tend to get a little quiet. When that happens, I file the clicker mechanism more to a point producing a louder click (Gary Smiths tip). They are no where near as loud as the diawa 30's but when the clicker goes off, it'll wake me up when Iam in a deep sleep dreaming. I think that is just that I am in tune to hear it...even if I am a good distance away and when that happens, I am off like a bullet.

As far as line, no problem there. I get about 260 with sufix 17lb filled to the rim. If I am lucky enough to cast 120yds, still have 140 in reserve, more than enough so far...havn't been spooled yet by a drum (stripers are sissies compared to drum). I don't baby the fish much unless its really large...but when I got her and she makes her initial run, thats it, she is coming in kicking and screaming, I may take it a little easier once she is in close.

I have pretty small hands and is one of the reasons I like the 525's. Those diawas after 8 plus hours of fishing, my thumb has problems holding down the spool when throwing 8 and bait. I had 2 of them and were just to big. Now those Avets are perfect for me...light, very small, and holds a little more line than the 525's. Clicker is about the same as the 525. Pretty soon, my 525's will be replaced by the Avets unless I find something else the same size in equal or better in quality and price. Never did try the daiwa 20's.

I may think one reel is better than another from a qaulity standpoint (like drag and materials), but other than that, reels become a personal preference, especially when it comes to fit and feel. You have big hands, so those diawas aren't a problem, but with someone who has smaller hands may find a smaller reel more practical for comfort.

They are lighter also and every little bit counts. Scott I think you look ready to get that first of the year. Sweet rigs. Time for me to look for some baby sweet water trout today iffin things thawed. Need to catch something and size does not matter.

Need to catch something and size does not matter.

This is So True:icon_rambo:

good luck guys and CSBLOS:icon_thumright:

Got a big mess of trouts today. More tomorrow and batch in smoker on Monday. Love that first fresh fish slim of the year. I may not take a shower for a week.lol

Got a big mess of trouts today. More tomorrow and batch in smoker on Monday. Love that first fresh fish slim of the year. I may not take a shower for a week.lol

Very Nice:icon_thumright: !

CG, great job. Any pics with that new camera?

went out sat for a few hours nada(except a burlap sack)

CG, great job. Any pics with that new camera?

Limit was too easy today. Like going to a grocery store.

trout.JPG.2ee931345033b970f337949de0272c

Thanks. How are ya catching them?

Power bait and slip sinker rig-pure put and take meat fishing. Still fun though and good just to get out plus the smell of the smoker tells me spring has sprung.

Nice take Dave, I can't wait to get some put and take dummies. I've been chasing those native trout in the gundowder on the fly, they have xray vision.