27 posts in this topic

I installed an adjustable mag in my torium 20 last month and finally got some time to test it last night after work.

I'll post some pics of how I did it when I to my torium 16 next week.

The frame and side plate are not solid so to get around not being able to tap it I drilled out the sideplate and innards and epoxied a nut to the outside of the plate for the bolt to thread through. I installed a 3/4" rare earth magnet on the end of the bolt and put it back together. Now that I know the settings I need to come up with a way to make sure the bolt stays where I adjust it to.

Now that that info is out of the way, here's the dirt. I was absolutely flinging it, stepped off 150 yards a couple of times on the real launches. I was throwing my OM cape point heaver with an 8oz sinker stuffed in a tennis ball, with just the sinker I may be able to get close to 180. I had it set up with 20lb ande and a 30 ft 80 lb shock leader. I can't wait to try the Torium 16 on my rainshadow and less weight and a reasonable length and test on the shocker. I went to 80 because I broke the 50 a couple of times last year practicing and I don't want to hit any houses.

It was so easy to do, only took 10 minutes and that was counting the drying time of the epoxy. I can throw it as hard as I can and I don't thumb the spool at all except for at the end. I never thought I'd be able to throw a conventional like that, magging is where its at folks!

I do not hatteras cast with heavy lead, especially on that heaver because it doesn't load, it's more like a 12' broom stick. I casted with only a 3 ft drop, off the ground and some just standing like I would have been waist deep in the surf.

I'll have to throw it on the Tica this weekend with about a 6oz setup, that one ought to fly!

Ben, are you getting any fluff on the cast? If not, loosen the control even more just until you see just a little fluff and she'll fly further. Also, cast and make mag adjustments in the air, less magnetic control, and it'll even go further. When you make that adjustment when the payload is in the air, you will here the spool spin faster. Thats all I have been doing this last month is playing with my reel and seeing how far I can throw my avet.

I did get to where I would get a little fluff which was perfect but the knob would turn and I would lose the spot and have to find it again. Right now it will fly with the knob bottomed out and a full turn will get me some fluff. I'm going to add a mag so that I have more adjustment in the knob for lighter and heavier loads. I think with the way it is now I would get too much fluff with a weight I could throw harder. That 8+tennis ball is a back breaker with the phone pole I'm using.

I may just put a rubber bushing in there and make my adjustments with an allen wrench so I know it will stay put when I find my mark. On the sand once you find your spot you should be good for the day so I won't need the adjustment, but you lost the ability to adjust in the air.

The in flight adjustment makes me nervous though for an extra 5 yards, I'll just get my bench up into the 450 range and get it that way. Now if we are talking 15-20 yards that's a different story.

till the mag I could never get it on the sand though (maybe 80)because I was too reserved, now I can try and break the rod with no worries. On sand I would actually cast further with my spinning rods.

Standing on one end of a HS track I can clear the other side, can't wait till I figure out what I'm doing and stop muscling it...I'm sore today.

All this because I'm too scared to go out in the ocean in a kayak at night!

Casting is fun, kayaking at night makes for messy bathing suits.

I was getting on average 10+ yards with adjusting with the payload in the air. I don't make the adjustment when fishing but was just curiuos what kind of difference it would make. I treid doing it fishing a couple times but seemed to have trouble remembering to put it back on the slow setting,,,blowup!

10 yards is nice to know, could be the difference in getting over the bar in some locations, not really on AI but a good tool to have in the box.

When casting from the beach, 10 yards could be the difference in catching vs just fishing. Very few if any can cast over the bar on AI unless the trough is narrow (not many places if any on AI), but if you can cast just to the inside of the bar, especially around a cut, there are a quite of few fish to be had. Still don't like the adjusting mag control while weight and bait are in flight when fishing. I try to get that distance by being on the edge of blowing up.

Always better to be long than short. If the fish are in short, no problem, but if they are long, you gotta be too.

couldn't agree more, which is why I'm spending the $ and the time with just inside the bar as the goal.

I had a big issue in SC last year too, because it's so shallow I had to walk out about chest deep to cast to decent water. Hope to hit that water from dry ground this year and I can @ 150+ yards. It really made you think about wading that trough to the bar when we kept getting cut off at night, I mean 2-3x a night, must have been a lot of ST's in that 100 yd waist high gut.

got all 3 hooked up and ready. I put two 3/4 earth mags in each one and solved my bushing problem after a bunch of experimentation with making them out of rubber stoppers, a spring set up for tension. Best one I found and then one I'm using is electrical tape on the threads to just before where I want it set, snug it up and it sticks. Wasted $10-$20 trying other crap...fixed it for pennies...it even looks better then the other ideas.

On a side note, in decent weather I think I can hit 200 with the 1502, I took 4" off the butt and 3" out of the tip...poor mans 1569. It's way lighter then the 1509 and will throw 10+chunk with the mods. Hit about 175 with a 5oz stuffed in a tennis ball, once I get the mag adjustment down and toss just a sinker I think I can get over 200, maybe not consistently but a time or two. This is with 20lb ande and an 80lb shock leader. For the stripers I'll be @ 17 and 50 so I should get more distance.

I really need to learn how to cast though, I played lacrosse for about 18 years and my lacrosse shot is my golf swing, is my casting motion. If I didn't powerlift or weigh as much as I do I don't think I could cast 100 yards. A day of long casting on the beach with my "technique" will wipe me out for a week I'm sure. I can cast 30 yards further with a "running launch" then I can with a hatteras.

Ben, if your casting 200 yards, you better think about tournament casting. 600' is the start of seriuos tournament level casting and these guys are using tweaked up abu's with a pendulum cast. You may want to think about getting a tweeked up abu and see where you can sail the payload. Thats some impressive casting.

in all reality I think if anything the 1569 is the "poor mans 1502" the lami 1502 blank costs over $100 more than the 1569. there is a new blank coming out soon that sounds like a champion.

I think your measurements are off too. Tommy Farmer who is the USA top dog in casting can't even hit that.

Battle of the heavyweight heavers.

I felt like a test driver for road and track putting Porsches and Ferrari’s and Vettes through the paces…. Now if I could just figure out a way to get paid to do this…lol

Thanks to Clyde I was able to put my hands on an Inferno and a 1569 Rainshadow. He surprised me though when he was taping guides on the new Fusion when I pulled up in the drive. This is Tommy Wheelers latest carbon fiber heaver.

The reel used for testing was one of Clyde’s fishing reels. A 6500 blue yonder spooled up with 14 lb Suffix (I think). No mags, just brake blocks and ceramic bearings.

Sinker – 8oz 4 sided pyramid

Conditions, about 70 degrees, tailwind blowing 7-8 mph. Very light rain when I arrived, but it ended within a few minutes.

I threw two casts with each rod using a Hatteras style beach cast. The form seems to be coming back with this old standby cast. Here are the results in the order cast.

Fusion

1 – 523’

2 – 532’

I like this rod. It is lightweight, very powerful and fairly easy to load. The butt is very thin, a size 22 reel seat fits. Works well for my small hands. The only drawback to me is the 9’tip.

HDX

1 – 519’

2 - 531’

I’ve thrown the HDX quite a bit in the past 9 days. It is the lightest of the group, easy to load and very powerful. It would be a pleasure to hold for extended periods “point fishing”. Two equal sections make it easy to transport.

Inferno

1 – 522

2 – 512

It felt to be the heaviest rod in the group. It is also the most powerful. A full power Hatters cast with 8oz just begins to tap the power here. This would be the stick for tossing 10+ oz on a fast running beach. It reminds me a bit of the 2p/1p breakaway. Would not be my 1st choice in this group to hold for hours “point fishing”. Also has a 9’tip.

1 – 478

2 – 503

Very lightweight heaver. Easy to load and well balanced. Not quite as powerful as the other rods but I believe it would be a pleasure to fish. Two equal sections make transport easy.

It is amazing to me how much rod technology has improved in the past few years. My heavers are both 5-6 years old and the differences in weight and power vs these new rods are amazing.

What can I say, I'm a pretty powerful guy :dontknow:. Just max benched 425 this week with a 500lb squat and a 600lb deadlift, no gloves no belt just shoes and shorts. I train my butt off and sometimes it actually translates into something useful.

I don't think there is a casting category for a "running javeline cast" which is what I've "perfected". Like I said before, at a HS track I can stand on one side and clear the other end of the track. 120 yards of football field in the middle with 20 yards to the track behind the goal posts on either side. 7 or so yards of track on each end. Puts me damn near a 170 yard measurement, I can't hit it perfect everytime but one out of 6 or 7 will hum. 510' isn't that unbelievable compared to his numbers with similar rods. Who knows maybe I stumbled on something with the magged toriums instead of the abu's. I'll never see anything near this on the sand unfortunately, my hatteras cast nets me about 140-150.

Farmer can hit it with a competition rod I'm sure, and he was using a borrowed fishing reel. The rod I built is a RS 1502, not a lami 1502 the RS blank costs about $135. I think I have around $200 in the rod.

Ben, what is a running javeline cast? Are you running and then throwing (kinda sounds like happy gilmore)? I am not doubting your distance of 170 yards, but if you try to perfect a pendulum cast (form and rythm become as important as power with that cast), your distance should go much further. Like I said, if you are casting those distances, grab yourself a zziplex and pumped up abu and give competitive casting a shot. These guys adjust the mag control as well when the payload is in the air to acheive maximum distances.

When you throw 170, I wouldn't just assume you now can hit 200 with a few changes. I personally hit a road block right now with my distances and I thought the same with changes and came up with only a couple extra yards, if even that. Going from 170 to 200 is a huge jump.

Hey Matt,

Tommy and Gary were throwing 8 oz vs Ben 5 so not sure you can compare. Don't know what Tommy throws with tournament 5.5s but I think I read his record setter was 839 feet. I can't even see that far.

forgot you were using the RS1502.

whenever I cast with a tennis ball it hits a wall and will only go so far no matter what rod, reel, or line I use. I just don't have a field big enough around here to take it out of the ball.

I forgot that tommy used an 8oz. he used 125 and 150 grams in all the other test. plus 5 oz. inside a tennis ball would be kinda heavy. maybe we should have an atlantic anglers casting tournament.

forgot you were using the RS1502.

whenever I cast with a tennis ball it hits a wall and will only go so far no matter what rod, reel, or line I use. I just don't have a field big enough around here to take it out of the ball.

I forgot that tommy used an 8oz. he used 125 and 150 grams in all the other test. plus 5 oz. inside a tennis ball would be kinda heavy. maybe we should have an atlantic anglers casting tournament.

yeah had to go to the 5-n-ball cause the 8-n-ball was killing my back.

i don't know what a tennis ball weighs, prolly around 2 ounces, more if wet, so that's still 7 or more ounces.

i don't know what a tennis ball weighs, prolly around 2 ounces, more if wet, so that's still 7 or more ounces.

right, but like you probably do I put it on there for wind resistance to better simulate what I would get with that weight and a piece of bait on there, especially for setting my mags. I figured it weighs about 2oz.

I don't do it for that reason, I do it because I don't have a very big field to throw in and I don't want to see a breakoff go through someones head with a pyramid sinker. the best way to simulate fishing conditions is to use your regular fishing rig with whatever size weight you use and put a plastic bait on the hook such as a shad body. the tennis ball has way too much resistance.

I think we both know that tennis ball won't keep the sinker from going through someone's head. :angel9:

I'm not sure, I know it would knock their a** out but when I cast with a tennis ball it isn't a rocket like just a sinker is and I'm not sure there is enough velocity to make the sinker go through the ball when it hits, otherwise it would when it hit the ground. as a matter of fact the tennis balls usually bounce a little when they hit. even with a tailwind there is so much resistance in the air that it slows the ball down a lot because the ball is so big. it doesn't go forever like a sinker but it looks like it's going real good for just a second or two and then pretty much drops straight down, just like when you hit one with a bat or tennis racket. I have used a tennis ball and then taken the ball off and casted and I got probably twice the distance without the tennisball. I only did that once because of the result. it didn't break off but it just went so far and I couldn't reel it in so I had to walk-n-reel and when I got to the sinker it was about 10-12" underground. I just thought that was too dangerous. I actually need to find somewhere new around where I live to do casting practice.