12 posts in this topic

Looking to head to the point in June in search of a cobia on a yakked out or casted bait. Hope this will be my new species this year.

Anyone on here done it yet? If not June when is the hot bite usually?

Also, is it possible to land and release one, everything I've seen is gaffs and clubs. I know they are wild and will flip and fight to the death, do you think it's possible to get one through the wash to land and release?

Maybe a large landing net, maybe not.

clear.gif

IMG_0215-1.jpg

If June is the hot month for cobia, I may have to make a trip south...work starts slowing up.

there are usually some caught in may (a friend of mine caught a 92 lber in the third week in may last year). but the best time seems to always be "sometime" in the month of june. It depends on water temp and bait if they are there. It also depends on "structure". last year wasn't very good for them. i was there last year for memorial day weekend. I didn't get a cobia but I got my first big drum. that is the cool thing, you can catch a 60 lb. cobia and a 45 lb. drum all in the same day. the numbers arent good but you can catch them. I was there last year for 3 days with hundreds of trucks on the beach tons of casted and yaked baits for miles up and down the beach and I think there was 2 caught all weekend. middle of june there can be several caught in one day. you don't want to be on the tip of the point but just south of it in fairly calm clear water. they can and have been caught before in the rough surf but I believe that 95% are caught in calmer water. you will probably hook up with a lot of big a** rays too so be prepared.

If you want to release a cobia I think the best bet is to use hooks that rust out and just cut the line close to the hook. I don't know what the survival rate is and I may be flat out wrong but just remember that their mouth is pretty much straight up bone so you'll either have the hook buried in bone or they swallowed the hook and is in the throat. release may not be a good option so just remember that cobia Is very good to eat and I always have room for it in the fridge. Circle hooks arent good because like I said their mouth is bone and a circle hook hooks in the corner of the mouth. the best hooks I know of are Gamakatsu octopus 10/0, very sharp. I also know some captains who run boats and are very good at catching cobia, but, they are already booked solid for cobia season.

I will be there in june.

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

and my favorite pic of all.... bring up any memories sam?

clear.gif

the photo above was the 92 lber and he cleaned it in the hood of his truck.

note the calm water in the pics.

cool, I think we got our info and pics on the same site. The pocket just south of the point seems to be perfect on a light west wind. Better get there at 3am to get a spot, true guerilla fishing with all those yaks and all that line out.

Seemed like early-mid June last year. I'll have a hard time pulling that one off since I just get back from vacation the first weekend of June.

I get the impression that it is a lot like drum fishing AI, if you fish hard for 3 days you're lucky if you get one...that's fine by me, there will be plenty to keep me occupied with rays and such.

I hear ya on the release, it may be more trouble then it's worth especially since the battle can get into the 45 minute range and the cobe will be worn out. Have to play it as it goes on that one, which means bring a bat :boxing: .

We'll have to keep an eye out and make a AA.com run. Mid June is pretty dead on AI.

Great Info guys, hey PM are those pics from AI or farther south?

These are all from the hatteras area, thus the location on the NC board:bootyshake:

although Toby parked one on the beach at AI in Sept last year.

These are all from the hatteras area, thus the location on the NC board:bootyshake:

Doh:eusa_doh: guess I need to read a bit more:evil5:

still, nice FISH:icon_thumright:

Man, I wish we could get those up north. I think only 2 were caught here on AI all summer and thats rare.

Man, I wish we could get those up north. I think only 2 were caught here on AI all summer and thats rare.

I'd like to know if people get any at CI, if they do then I'll be driving down as far as the plovers will let me this summer

Man, that looks like an obsession in the making!

Man, that looks like an obsession in the making!

just what I need, another one...