22 posts in this topic

How was your first trip on the new job?

the first trip was very cool....and on a couple of day very cold...we were doing a lot of sampling from the bay bridge to the the Susquehanna. All in all very interesting stuff. One of the chief scientists on this particular trip (who is the chief engineers wife) got her PHD in the life cycle and spawning habits of the striped bass....... really gonna have to pick her brain.

IMGP0219.jpg.f68b796ffca8c541443d15755d9

IMGP0222.jpg.9395d1b17ecc80c5b80221ec076

IMGP0228.jpg.937f949be7aadb618f07ab5111d

IMGP0235.jpg.9e005637c0e5ac581f58c186de4

IMGP0241.jpg.dc573a9922b0c9922f11a7e2711

IMGP0247.jpg.94e68f1c8f84b17db5513705c25

I am impressed, great report. Let us know

more please.

Can I go on a "ride a long" ? WOW! That looks awesome. Great pics. :icon_thumleft:

Cool pictures. Is that one of the sampling devices being lowered into the water ?

Cool pictures. Is that one of the sampling devices being lowered into the water ?

yeah...called a CTD as we lower it it sends back a profile of the water...temps salinity levels etc.... and as we bring it back up they can open different bottles at whatever level they want.

What reasearch vessel is that? It looks a lot like the Odyssey.

Excellent pics Oliver. Let us know how the adventure goes.

It's the R/V Hugh R. Sharp and that sunrise was incredible I was just coming off watch and grabbed my camera and just started snapping pictures....I have a panoramic assist and once I figure out how to put the pics together I will post more, that was the most amazing sunrise I have ever seen.

WOW!!! Thanks for the pics. What a great job.You can bet some of us are envious. :icon_pray: If Sam talks you into a ride along sign me up.:blob8:

I'll look into the ride along....might work on a day trip I'll see....

wow incredible job :icon_thumright: after taking all those samples is there an initial report on the health of the bay? Good bad or the same? I know last year during the summer there were considerable algae blooms and oxygen dead zones.

not sure about that, but the fact that we pulled in a few catfish and a crap load of perch in one of the other sampling devices is heartening

Great picture of the wheel house?:eusa_clap: A typical modern vessel with joystick controls. Welcome to the video game console. All that technology and human error puts that freighter on the mud in the Chessy.

Great picture of the wheel house?:eusa_clap: A typical modern vessel with joystick controls. Welcome to the video game console. All that technology and human error puts that freighter on the mud in the Chessy.

with the Z drives, bow thrusters, and the nav equipment we can literally hover in one spot, within a meter in any direction.

Looks good Oliver! Glad you got the gig.:happy3: :happy3: :happy3:

ok I figured out the panoramic thing.....

panoramicsmaller.jpg.0ee6588ebecfbf54218