3 posts in this topic

Is there an advantage to having your spinning reels spools machine spooled rather than manually spooled? I've always just had my spools done at the bait shop or cabelas or wherever ...but now I have some bulk line i can use to do it manually - just wondering whether there is any difference (capacity, wrapping,etc). Seems to me any difference would be nullified the first long cast you make right?

BTW - strictly mono here - no braid to worry about.

So assuming there is no harm in manually spooling, any pitfalls or tricks I should keep in mind? Only time I spool myself is my fly line - and thats dacron backing plus 50-60 yrds of fly line - perhaps not quite the same as 300+ yards of mono... (twist, memory issues?)

I guess my biggest concern is adding a whole lot of twist by doing it the wrong way.

Thanks

I spool myself off bulk spools. Then I take it outside in the yard/field and unspool the whole thing with the end attached to a swivel and a round 20 oz sinker. Reel it in with a bunch of tension and the twist is gone for the most part, then put on an 8 oz and start practicing!

you can turn the spool sideways to eliminate twists. just make sure you're going the right way.