4 posts in this topic

The more i read the Audobon society letter the more ticked off i get. I think some of the stuff said maybe true about a very very very small percentage of beach user (seems worse at OBX vs AI) at OBX all you have to do is drive over the dune no user fees nothing. At AI you must go to the ranger station and buy your permit and get a copy of the rules before using the OSV area. I was just thinking would if be a good idea for the NPS to make everyone who buys an OSV permit watch a video on what to do and what not to do while driving on the beach? They sell 5700 permits a year and at a 1% moron ratio that means there will be 57 idiots using the beach that have no clue. I personally have only seen maybe 3 people being idiots in about 20 plus years of using AI, now OBX on the other hand seem a little worse but they dont even hand out a set of rules and i think they have way more first time user than AI. I know NPS needs a OSV management plan and i think an educated user will eliminate alot of problems. Just wondering how everyone else feels about educating the OSV user to help the management plan and to preserve our access. Please don't take this thread the wrong way i am 100% for beach access and will do anything it takes to preserve it.

Jim, you may be right.Before I purchased my 1st permit I studied the rules and regs.I also asked lots of questions before venturing out on the sand.I think there are a lot of people who will just jump in and learn from mistakes.

Great Idea Jim:eusa_dance: maybe someone could draft a letter or an e-mail and suggest this to the NPS

Nice observation and idea Jim.

Problem with AI would be somewhere to view the video and them having to dedicate another employee to displaying it. As for the idiots, you can show them videos, give them literature and even hold their hand. As soon as you let go of their hand, they'll be idiots again.

You can't teach common sense.

Hopefully peer pressure will help some of them.