4 posts in this topic

I've built a nice 4wt, I'll post the details this weekend but I forgot the shots today. I've fished it several times already and one day hope to actually catch something.

Now you're talkin' Ben! Is it much more difficult doing a smaller rod like that compared to the surf rods? I've heard its easiest to start with larger surf rod blanks and work your way to smaller rods, however I need need a new fly rod more than I need a new surf rod....

Now you're talkin' Ben! Is it much more difficult doing a smaller rod like that compared to the surf rods? I've heard its easiest to start with larger surf rod blanks and work your way to smaller rods, however I need need a new fly rod more than I need a new surf rod....

This was my first build and I did it with metalic thread which is a pain. It turned out great. The problem with the larger rods vs the tiny stuff is the amount of guide prep especially if you are using a thread which I am. On my fly rods I only had to prep the stripping guide since it was not a typical fly guide. Right now I would say the smaller rods were easier. When you get into detailed butt wraps etc I think the larger diameter would be easier