5 posts in this topic

Do they make them in larger than 8/0? I been trying to find these hooks forever and I can't seem to find anyone that sells larger than 7/0.

What is the secret source for these hooks.

Thanks

I use the 10/0 circle demons for stripers/drum. I love the hook but must be sharpened before use. Treid buying them from the location that was in Steves thread but they are out, didn't check for the smaller size. I did buy the 16/0 mustad (they are similar in size to the mustad 12/0 circle demon, which I can't seem to find anywhere). They are a large hook but a striper still has no problem swallowing. If I cant find any boxes of 25 of the mustad 10/0 circle demons, I am going to get the 15/0 mustad circles. I wish these sizes are standard, but even the same manufacture varies their sizes greatly with the same size #, very irritating at times.

Ake & Delmarva sports sells the 10/0 circle deomons and smaller but they are around $5 for 5. You can look on the net and find a box of 25 for around $10.

I've fished those Owners and the Deamons are about twice the size in 10/0. I stick with 9-10/0 gamis and these owners work too. I think that's what hooked my drum. The Owners do flex a bit compared to the gami's. I may go Mutu this year, I got a bunch for charkin but I'm thinking of fully outfitting them on my rods this year. REALLY sharp and strong. $$$$ though, almost $4-5 a piece in some sizes...just don't lose them. They're basically j's with a turned in point, not a true circle.

I use the owner SSWs your link references. They are my first choice. Use them in sizes 8/0-10/0 for stripers, depending on bait size. I also use the Gamis as backups (when i can't find the owners). They sizes of the Owner SSW and Gami Octopus are pretty close to each other.

Is there a difference in the gap between the point and the body of the hook between the circle demon and the regular mustad circles?

I was leaning towards getting the circle demon hooks because they are supposed to be chemically sharpened and thus not need any sharpening for first time use. I will take Coops good word and believe him that they do indeed need sharpened before first use.

I guess now, I just don't see the advantage of the circle demons over the regular mustad circle hooks.

As Trowpa stated I wished all these manufactuers would get their heads out their arses and standardize hook sizes. an Owner , mustad, gami 9/0 should all be a similar size.