18 posts in this topic

THose of you who spend some time on the sand have done when the fish are slow and far between....gazed down at the sand and whats laying there. Have you ever found something way cool?

A few dead whales now and then. :icon_scratch:

lol guess they stink after a while......:eek: not that I have found anything on OC's Beach or AI but on the beaches of the Eastern Bay and Chester River I have found lots of Indian artifacts (arrow heads celts pottery)and lots of colonial pottery shards and artifacts.

Dead sea turtle, flip flops, and a beach ball, just to name a few, nothing spectacular though.

We went to the ship wreck museum and read that coins and artifacts continually wash ashore.It is unlawful to take artifacts from wreck sites but if it washes ashore it's fair game.Now where's my metal detector?:dontknow:

I thought there were a few ol wrecks just of the coast of AI where things were washing ashore from time to time...Isn't AI where Black Beard buried his treasure as well>? Or maybe all he did was surf fish and drink his grog

I have a few broken sea shells I found on AI.

The highlight though was an old horseshoe crab shell my dog found and barked at for 3 hours straight.

We went to the ship wreck museum and read that coins and artifacts continually wash ashore.It is unlawful to take artifacts from wreck sites but if it washes ashore it's fair game.Now where's my metal detector?:dontknow:

Aren't metal detectors illegal on AI?

Aren't metal detectors illegal on AI?

Are they?:dontknow:That seams odd

Are they?:dontknow:That seams odd

Yes they are. We had this discussion with the rangers last spring when I brought my girls up at the end of march. They wanted so bad to try out their new metal detector. It is illegal to use a metal detector on any National Park.....

Isn't AI where Black Beard buried his treasure as well>? Or maybe all he did was surf fish and drink his grog

The legend says blackbeard took shelter in the sinipuxent bay area. So maybe there is treasure in them there waters matey.

I have heard gold coins have been found on AI.

The legend says blackbeard took shelter in the sinipuxent bay area. So maybe there is treasure in them there waters matey.

I have heard gold coins have been found on AI.

agreed, I think I read it was somewhere near the ORV entrence, where along time ago ther was an inlet that is now filled in, maybe it was called "Green River?"

also if Im not mistaken there is a 17th century ship wreck(HMS Gala, sp?) on land, back in the dunes around the VA/MD border but it's location is a seacret and Off-Limits

also of intrest, there is a set of islands behind AI called Pirate Islands near Popes Bay, maybe named by Blackbeard or his crew:dontknow:

yes, I am into this and have some experience wth metal detecting, Priate history and shipwrecks along the Mid-Atlantic:glasses2:

...i just typed a long response to this topic, but it was lost when it was submitted :angry3: ...i will not attempt to redo, but here is what i found at the south end of ai at chincoteague inlet...

....back in '05 while fishing ai at chincoteague inlet i found the remains of an old wooden ship that i believe to be the wreck of the presidential yacht Despatch built in 1873 and wrecked off chincoteague on oct 10, 1891...built with wooden trunnels ('tree nails')...

...i was wondering if anyone on this board has seen this too and maybe can shed some light on the subject....the nps had no comment and the historical society would not reply to my e-mail inquiry :confused5:

sam....if there is anyway to retrieve my original tresponse, please feel free to re-post it....

...i just typed a long response to this topic, but it was lost when it was submitted :angry3: ...i will not attempt to redo, but here is what i found at the south end of ai at chincoteague inlet...

....back in '05 while fishing ai at chincoteague inlet i found the remains of an old wooden ship that i believe to be the wreck of the presidential yacht Despatch built in 1873 and wrecked off chincoteague on oct 10, 1891...built with wooden trunnels ('tree nails')...

...i was wondering if anyone on this board has seen this too and maybe can shed some light on the subject....the nps had no comment and the historical society would not reply to my e-mail inquiry :confused5:

sam....if there is anyway to retrieve my original tresponse, please feel free to re-post it....

hmmm, I think that was on the History Chn recently, maybe "Deep Sea Detectives":icon_scratch:

... i do know that the wreck of the despatch was relocated off of ai back in 1997 by a company called sea hunt, inc....it could be that a piece had washed ashore where i found it back in '05...all speculation at this point...

my fiance's father is an avid treasure hunter, he has told me stories of spanish galleons that sank full of gold off of AI, as for the metal detectors, he was aggervated when he found out he could not use it on AI.

sam....if there is anyway to retrieve my original response, please feel free to re-post it....

When you log in next time, check the "Remember Me" box.

We've all been there and done that....

You can also copy before you hit submit.

The Sea Hunt guys ...did they find anything of value inthe wreck.. all I remember from the show was that it really wasn't that far from shore. Isn't that how the ponies got on shore to from the Spanish?