7 posts in this topic

Well, depending on water temps, we maybe able to start soaking bait in 4-5 weeks. Once the water temps rise a bit, fish are going to be on the move toward their spawning grounds. With the warm January, and the sudden severe drop in temps, I am thinking more than usual have probably ended up wintering the cold out off our coast. Once those temps start moving upward, they'll be off to their spawning grounds, wherever that may be (ches, de, who knows). Last year was pretty good at the end of March and beginning of April with quite a few fish caught.

You're right, not too long.

Pretty sure the amount of daylight triggers the spawnning run, I would think the temps would effect the bait more then the spawners and that dictates how many we see in the surf vs offshore a bit.

From my limited experience the temps effect the bait in the bay which will cause them to hang around more then normal like last season, but regardless of water quality or availability of bait the fish will hit the Susky around March 15th and in full force by the 1st week of April, temps effect how easy it is to catch them and quality effects what baits and how easy it is for them to see the bait but they will be there waiting on the right tide/moon.

I'm sure there will be some migrating fish in our surf starting mid march when a different stock head to the delaware to spawn, hell some of them will spawn in the Assawoman.

gawd, 4 to 5 weeks seems like forever right now:eusa_shifty:

nawww - just long enough to get your gear in order and earn some golden passes (for the rest of us at least - I know you don't need them Randy!)

Not to start a lot of false rumors but I keep hearing they are still off our coast-some just inside the 3 mile limit. Weather is supposed to be a little warmer next week. I might give it a shot.

some just inside the 3 mile limit.

Darn - isn't that always the case? "just barely" outside my casting range....:eusa_liar::evil6:

Seriously - already planning my trips down....March 24 looks like my first possibility right now ...depending on reports, weather, etc....

nawww - just long enough to get your gear in order and earn some golden passes (for the rest of us at least - I know you don't need them Randy!)

:happy5: thats only because the wife likes to fish, drink beer, catch some rays and hang-out wth the guys:icon_thumright: