24 posts in this topic

I will be buying a yak soon , I have some favs.

ocean kayak "prowler 12,13,15".

ocean kayak "big game".

anyone have any insite on these two yaks...

I have the prowler 13.... I love it. it is an excellent fishing platform. it handles the surf well and it is very fast. My mom uses it for bass fishing.

I have the prowler 13.... I love it. it is an excellent fishing platform. it handles the surf well and it is very fast. My mom uses it for bass fishing.

that is a good thing to know because they are both close in length, and I will be using it in the surf to drop off big bloody fish heads...thanks

I was expecting to see a picture of a broom with a rudder!

Can't go wrong with the prowler if you can afford it.

I was expecting to see a picture of a broom with a rudder!

lol

I have yakked out my buddies prowler 13 and it is a nice stable platform. He saw me dissapear behind a good 5-6 footer if you are wondering. Smackdown like a coaster, and I disapeared untill he saw me paddling away. Its al the entry into the waves , as you will most certainly find out... :icon_thumleft:

Don't worry about rogue (freak) waves. They are more concisely defined as waves that are more than double the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. This generally occurs outside the 100 fathom line, I don't think we'll be paddling out there. :D

There can be larger waves in the surf zone. These can occur as often as every third wave but normally every 10th or 12th. This doesn't mean they will happen, only that they can. These are the 5 footers on a 2-3' day that sneak up on ya.

As for the sand bars, generally two but sometimes three. They can range from as close as 20' from shore out to maybe 50-75 yards or so. The spacing varies, usually 50-100 yards apart.

Of course all the above depends on the geographical area. In rocky-cliff type areas you may not have a bar. In the flats, such as the Keys, it's a very slow slope.

I wouldn't call em rouge waves but some large freak waves are out there. Got dumped this summer, a## over tin cups flipped me right out the back of the yak...straight up and over. I saw it coming and charged it but I knew I didn't have a chance. This particular wave washed up under my tires when the previous waves were a good 10 yards away. My buddy was on shore as I yakked the baits out, saw it coming and knew I was screwed.

I had a 16 foot yak then and it stood me up so it should have been over 8ft to do that on a 3-4 ft day but it was the incoming tide so the sets were getting a little larger.

1 time out of 100...not bad odds. I think you need to worry more about waves that don't break in the zone you expect them to.

That's what I like about the 13 is I can hit the gas pretty fast, it great for charging..... where I have my problems is mostly coming back...

I wouldn't call em rouge waves but some large freak waves are out there. Got dumped this summer, a## over tin cups flipped me right out the back of the yak...straight up and over. I saw it coming and charged it but I knew I didn't have a chance. This particular wave washed up under my tires when the previous waves were a good 10 yards away. My buddy was on shore as I yakked the baits out, saw it coming and knew I was screwed.

I had a 16 foot yak then and it stood me up so it should have been over 8ft to do that on a 3-4 ft day but it was the incoming tide so the sets were getting a little larger.

1 time out of 100...not bad odds. I think you need to worry more about waves that don't break in the zone you expect them to.

how far out were you when the big 8' got ya, and what is this "zone" you are talking about and why should I worry more about those waves is there a special way of handling those

I just got this one a few months ago I think its a pretty good one I like the idea of adjustable seats and the beer can holder

5852a4ff079e9_smallyak.jpg.328d4605ea15c

I just got this one a few months ago I think its a pretty good one I like the idea of adjustable seats and the beer can holder

will you ever take that yak in the surf

If you do, make sure I have a camera. :D

you don't think that would be a good one to take in the surf? I'm going to go to Bass Pro Outlet and get 2 rod holders for it and do some trolling in the Eastern bay if the water ever warms up here. What better way to get a workout and fish at the same time:glasses9:

First, it won't drain water and could fill quickly.

Second, could swamp in a wave.

Third, it MAY be difficult if not impossible to remount after a spill, depends on your abilities.

Best I can say is to try a few different ones in the surf before you buy.

They all feel and perform differently.

But for yaking out baits, you want a SOT.

Check the link I posted in the other thread that got started on this same subject.

how far out were you when the big 8' got ya, and what is this "zone" you are talking about and why should I worry more about those waves is there a special way of handling those

I was getting to the bar so the wave broke where it should have it was just too big and I was in the break zone. So maybe 150 yards out.

By break zone I mean you're going to try and hit the waves either before they start to break or curl or after they complete it. This one hit me right in the curl which is why it stood me up so easy.

I'll generally get past the shore break and chill a bit and time the sets and try to hit that zone when in between sets. It's easy once you get the feel and do it a few times.

Time the sets and charge it!...you would be suprised how easy a yak can cut through a large wave with some speed (lean back), but if you hesitate and back off, washing machine time and tangled mess time...woohoo!

I always find coming back harder but who really gives a crap when you get tossed and tumbled, all your rigging is set...Man, I can't wait!

I love it all...

I must say, Ben (Charkbait) really impressed me that night he took out his chum contraption. He went out full force in the pitch black with crazy weather approaching. Fun times... That might have been his first time launching from the beach. :D

I love it all...

I must say, Ben (Charkbait) really impressed me that night he took out his chum contraption. He went out full force in the pitch black with crazy weather approaching. Fun times... That might have been his first time launching from the beach. :D

Definitely not the first, it was I never would have done it again. The first night launch and from AI which is nothing like down south. That surf was more then double what I'd handled in the past, violent too that night. Slammed a couple beers and off I went!

Definitely not the first, it was I never would have done it again. The first night launch and from AI which is nothing like down south. That surf was more then double what I'd handled in the past, violent too that night. Slammed a couple beers and off I went!

Yeah, that was crazy.. I've been there many times since and sometimes I jump off in deeper water and that can be a shock when you are expecting about 2' of water.

Ok, all the GREAT! stuff aside......

Which yak is best for you?

The one you tried and will do what you want it to do, affordable, and one you can get yer butt back into at night when the Sand Tigers are circling you after you get dumped....

EVERY doggone day, I think about being out there enjoying the night and the gentle roll of the swells under the yak....

you don't think that would be a good one to take in the surf? I'm going to go to Bass Pro Outlet and get 2 rod holders for it and do some trolling in the Eastern bay if the water ever warms up here. What better way to get a workout and fish at the same time:glasses9:

you could put one of thoes skirt thingies on that goes around the hole on your yak and around your body between chest and your stomach.

Yeah, that was crazy.. I've been there many times since and sometimes I jump off in deeper water and that can be a shock when you are expecting about 2' of water.

when you say, jump off in deeper water do you mean when you are trying to dismount when back @ shore or way out there....and if you are talking about jumping out of your yak way off shore when your fishing for large sharks WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT. You sir have a set of steel gonyas.

Oh yeah, we always jump out when we're out there.

We swim the bloody chunk of Tuna head to the bottom to assure proper placement. It's interesting at night, you can't see which way is up when you are on the bottom.