chomper

New form of sharkin

14 posts in this topic

How do you tell it is not a protected species before you go shooting at it?

Use your magnifying glass.... Some folks just know, I guess :confused:

I couldn't even tell what kind of shark that was after it was boated.:dontknow:

Well I don't see the sport in it. Why not just shoot it with a gun, not like you get to feel the power of the shark like when you are reeling it in and have to fight it the whole way with this all you have to do is wait till ti tires out and just put it in your boat. Well I'll just do it the old fashion way.

I agree with Dave...

If I'm that hard up for shark meat, I'll go to the store or fish for it.

But just to shoot one of these beautiful creatures for the fun of it?

Sick puppies...

Yeah, I d rather rod and reel one in too. But it is extreme. No one ever bowfish here? Some folks really dig it. Like Bo Jackson.

I prefer a rod & reel. Doesn't seem like much sport. Like cyanide fishing.

If you ask me these people should be arrested. No way to know what you are shooting at or if it is legal size.

I know people in freshwater who shoot carp. They don't eat the carp, just kill them. I don't go for that either.

If you ask me these people should be arrested. No way to know what you are shooting at or if it is legal size.

I know people in freshwater who shoot carp. They don't eat the carp, just kill them. I don't go for that either.

There is an article in field and stream about this. I believe they have a picture of a carp.

You all dont have to agree. But one thing is for sure, if they shoot more of those carp, there would be alot more balanced species diversity available to catch. Carp muddy up waters real bad, and eat other species eggs, including native species. They are the ol time snakeheads if you will. I know ol fellas who when they catch a big carp throw it up on the bank and not back in the water. They dont make use of it , but something does and is probably happy for the meal. Some of em know chinamen who eat em too. I heard from one of em that they soak the meat in saltwater for a couple days and it leaches out the mud flavor. Never tried it myself.

From what I gather the bow fishing was going down in Louisiana. And from what I gathered, aint illegal there. Not sure of size limits either myself, but I hear it less stringent than Texas law. In texas a shark over 24 inches is a keeper if ya want it. It aint to hard to tell if its over 24 inches, may be no size limit at all where they were doing thier thing, for all I know. I dont wanna prosecute people on the basis of laws that I dont even know exist? That aint to friendly.

You all dont have to agree. But one thing is for sure, if they shoot more of those carp, there would be alot more balanced species diversity available to catch. Carp muddy up waters real bad, and eat other species eggs, including native species. They are the ol time snakeheads if you will.

My dad has been saying that for years.

We fish at a local creek and there are so many different species of fish including: stripers, flounder, black drum, perch, catfish, eels, and CARP. We have caught carp on grass shrimp and they get HUGE (up to 25 lbs). They have been there for years and you see more of them with lots of rain. They tend to like the fresh water I suppose.

I suppose I just don't like the way they go about it. Why not lure them in with the blood and pitch them a baited hook and let them give you the ride of your life? Then release them. Bulls are not known for being tasty are they?

On a side note about carp....I don't believe it has been proven they eat fish eggs. They do muddy the water. Anyway even if it is true probably more bass nests have been destroyed by anglers fishing for/pulling bass off nests in the spring than anything else.

I suppose I just don't like the way they go about it. Why not lure them in with the blood and pitch them a baited hook and let them give you the ride of your life? Then release them. Bulls are not known for being tasty are they?

On a side note about carp....I don't believe it has been proven they eat fish eggs. They do muddy the water. Anyway even if it is true probably more bass nests have been destroyed by anglers fishing for/pulling bass off nests in the spring than anything else.

I dont disagree with you. Just repeating what the ol timers say to me. I think if the dam wasnt drained it might be a different story. Just going by the more experienced anglers stories, and what ive seen of the carps activities . No offense.

Im sure you are right esox. I have had the fortunate time to be fishing my great uncles pond for bass, and he tells me not to f with his eco system of 30 some odd years. I cant wait for spring. Listnin to zepplin now, communication breakdown...... its always the same........ I hope he hangs on for another year or two or 3.... I love fising that pond.....

:icon_pray: please forgive them father for they know not what they have done....