16 posts in this topic

pretty cool..... but since I can't surf worth a darn.... I am gonna stick to my yak.:glasses9:

HA! when i was a kid, I used to fish off my windsurf board. On light wind days, I'd hook the rods through the footstraps and troll . Great way to fish quiet water in stealth - Got lots of fish but missed a lot too since it took forever to safely get the sail down and pick the rod up.

That was all on a lake - wouldn't dare try it with the waves!!!!!!!!!!

ya know if ya look at the photo it looks like he is shooting his board forward over the wave but even if the board makes it over the wave coming up even looks bigger:icon_rambo:

Ok, I'm just thinking here.....

Hmmm, surf or fish, surf or fish...

I got it!

Just tie all my expensive fishing gear to my board and lose it in the surf!!!!

Dude, just buy a used yak or stand in the sand with a chilly one.....

A for effort, F for common sense.

Yeah, if ya clink on the link there are 12 photos total. In one of em there is a whole mess of folks taking to the water. Another one has a guy hooked up to a fish. Looks pretty cool. In the one I posted it looks like a 12 back of busch sticking out about mid wave.

Yeah, if ya clink on the link there are 12 photos total. In one of em there is a whole mess of folks taking to the water. Another one has a guy hooked up to a fish. Looks pretty cool. In the one I posted it looks like a 12 back of busch sticking out about mid wave.

Takes me about a 12 pack at AI in the yak at midnight to get me out there too.

Yea Ben I guess. I can't imagine on a calm summer night once you get past the breakers the nervousness just knowing there could be 10 foot bull or tiger just cruising around not to mention a white. I know chances are slim but geez what an eery sp? feeling. I know years ago when we could wade a 100 yards out at the flatlands on a calm day I would get real nervous with a bloody dripping fish head in hand. Nope I'll just watch you folks.

I like to drag the bloody Tuney carcass through the water while yakin out at night. That way it'll get 'em in the area quicker! :D

Normally stay in closer at night though, within 400 yards... :alien:

Yea Ben I guess. I can't imagine on a calm summer night once you get past the breakers the nervousness just knowing there could be 10 foot bull or tiger just cruising around not to mention a white. I know chances are slim but geez what an eery sp? feeling. I know years ago when we could wade a 100 yards out at the flatlands on a calm day I would get real nervous with a bloody dripping fish head in hand. Nope I'll just watch you folks.

it does get the blood flowing.... being out in a yak at night...but it is so incredible out there.

Its really cool out past the breakers but you tend to feel bumps that aren't really happening...or are they? I can tell you that my least favorite is night launches and night landings. No way to time the surf and you can't really see what is coming, you just charge.

I'm fine tuning a launching "system" for drum and sharks now, I can "shoot" 10 oz 200 yards with the line attached. A couple tweaks and I'll have it, needs to be easier to transport too. I want to get 10oz with a half bunker over the bar. It will be clutch if they shut down for the "study" and we can only fish up north for drum. I should be able to get over the bar in most spots. I may have to switch to braid though for more capacity and to eliminate stretch.

To tell you the truth, if you want to catch sharks all you need to do is take off the steel leader...all the sand tigers you want then.

Then I can leave the yak at home and have a happier wife.

Its really cool out past the breakers but you tend to feel bumps that aren't really happening...or are they?

To tell you the truth, if you want to catch sharks all you need to do is take off the steel leader...all the sand tigers you want then.

Hehe, yup, the "bumps" are real. Had one turn me 90 degrees at night.

They are most active at night.

You can also use coated wire, ala Home Depot.

If you have a big enough blob of bait, say 2-3 lbs of tuney, Charkey won't care about the wire.

Hehe, yup, the "bumps" are real. Had one turn me 90 degrees at night.

They are most active at night.

You can also use coated wire, ala Home Depot.

If you have a big enough blob of bait, say 2-3 lbs of tuney, Charkey won't care about the wire.

I've used coated and bare etc, they bite best when you don't want em to like when drum fishing or on kingfish rigs it seems. Still a fun time when done carefully, just have to fight them one sided the whole way in, once they turn and the line hits the razors its all over.

I've caught plenty of sand tigers using wire leader.

sandtigersmouth_179.jpg.1af56d163318d619