18 posts in this topic

I have a question about line....If you put line on one summer and maybe used the rod less than a dozen times should u change the line the next year or would it still be good....maybe even for a rod u used only once? Is there a shelf life to line that soon?

Good question, Tom. How about the difference between mono and braid?

I'll do 10-12 outings or a season, whichever comes first.

Got to make sure you use mild soap & water after each trip though.

Rinse well.

I think mono has to be changed more often than braid. But, that said, I change all my line once a year....just to be safe.

I keep braid for a while but rinse it off and try to dry it as much as possible after that but I'm going back to all mono I think. I like replacing it more often and knowing its fresh line.

Year to year I've found that the top 50 yards will be damaged by exposure and that includes the stuff I have that is new still on the spool. Year to year I always change line, it's not worth the $5.00 to me to lose a monster, afterall...that's why I'm out there.

You'll lose a ton of casting distance from the line memory, not to mention the unknown actual strength of the line.

Mighty Quinn (I think) is still kicking himself after dropping a drum in the wash, I think he'll have fresh line a lot more often this season.

For me, with the amount of $ and effort that goes into each excursion in bait, gas, lures, time etc its just not worth it to lose a fish over old line. If I'm fishing the salt and it's been 2-3 weeks without fishing then I'll change the line before I go. Keep in mind that when I hit AI the line is typically exposed to salt and sand for 30-50 hours straight, that's a lot of exposure followed up by sitting the garage after being rinsed for 2-3 weeks. When I'm trolling in the bay or jigging, I'm more lenient and just take off about 20 yards per trip.

I guess you can tell this is one of my hot button issues, I guess its more fishing philosophy then anything else. The last thing that will cause me to lose a fish will be the less then $5.00 worth of mono connecting us. It will be a knot or some terminal gear or just bad luck but it won't be because I was lazy and didn't change my line.

I change maybe once a month and sometimes longer. If I fish hard for a whole month, that line is getting changed. I am with Ben, so few fish caught and so much spent in prepping/bait/tackle, I would hate to lose one, tho it still happens...When it does, I am ticked off!!...for whatever the reason.

I think I'll have to change my handle to "LineNazi" after reading everyone elses responses! "No Braid Fo You"

Mighty Quinn (I think) is still kicking himself after dropping a drum in the wash, I think he'll have fresh line a lot more often this season.

I was there for that one... Yup, old line and I'm not even sure he was using a shock leader. Nice looking drum too.. :cwm21:

I change my shockleader about every 4 or 5 time fishing.

I change my mono at least once a year or when then spool starts getting low. I keep all my reels and extra mono spools in a tote container and in my basement or garage out of the sunlight. The only time my reels see sunlight is when it is fishing.

I changed my braid after 1 day of use. Never put braid back on a reel yet. (this was 5 years ago trout fishing in PA)

I am going to give the newer braids a chance sometime this summer.

Line is Cheap

Big Fish are hard to find

Replace your line Every year. Thats what I do because the ONE THAT GETS AWAY always has a Story behind it and you certainly dont want to Blame it on being Lazy or Cheap (not that I am calling anyone Lazy or cheap here... ).

:)

Here is what the freshwater braid guys do. They keep the braid on for one year and then just reverse it and keep it on for another year.

I am with Ben in regards to mono. I change my freshwater line at least a few times a year. My ocean line I change every couple of months.

When I am fishing hard I check my shock leader every day. If it is frayed then I change it. But I retie it EVERY DAY!!!!!

Lots of ways for those big fish to get away. Me having bad line is not going to be one of them.

Something of concern to me is, how long did that line sit on a store shelf? Does it even matter?

Something of concern to me is, how long did that line sit on a store shelf? Does it even matter?

I think it does matter for the open spools, boxed lines have an advantage but those big 5000 yarders I get of ande get the first 100 or so yards stripped off before I spool it.

Why not? I'm both!!:icon_salut:

LMAO!

I've seen 1st hand the line on your reels!:BangHead:

Line is Cheap

Big Fish are hard to find

Replace your line Every year. Thats what I do because the ONE THAT GETS AWAY always has a Story behind it and you certainly dont want to Blame it on being Lazy or Cheap (not that I am calling anyone Lazy or cheap here... ).

:)

X's 2 although some of mine get changed twice a year, depending on usage

now the idea abour reversing the line is interesting. the only draw back I could see is now the weaker line is near the center of the spool and "what-if" you get a big fish on that runs you to the core? now you have marginal line at the spool:icon_scratch:

I hear ya Randy, agree, why bother?

Not like line is a hunnerd bucks a roll (for mono).

Now, my 100# braid, that's near $100 for just one reel (1500 yards).

Those go two seasons with a through wash after each use.

Randy,

The reversing the line thing is something the braid guys do. Braid doesn't break down like mono does. I am not sure if it really matters, but they do it. You get two years out of a spool of braid that way.

That is if you can go two years without backlashing it and cutting it out. Better be a good caster!