9 posts in this topic

Went out on the river ( I'm at home in Alabama) last night and put out two trotlines each with 100 hooks. Baited one with chicken parts and the other with ivory soap. We pulled up on a sand bar and built a fire and cooked out. Foil wrapped shrimp done in butter and ca-jon seasoning served over grits thanks to the jet boil. Great meal, really not important to the story though. We let the lines soak for four ish hours while we ate and enjoyed a few adult beverages. Went back and ran the line with the chicken parts first. Five nice river cats on that one, all between 2 and 4 lbs, not bad for a short soak. Went from there to the soap line, nine fish all between 2 and 5 lbs! Once again the soap proves to be the better bait and much cleaner to deal with. No pun intended.

I LOVE Catfeesh!

Did you use the two-hook bait holder rig or go with a treble?

You said river cat, but what kind, channel, blue, etc?

My grandfather taught me how to bank line fish.... stout pole stuck in the edge of the river (Sangamon, close to Mohomet, Ill. to be exact) Bait those poles just in the water with a chub minnow. Come back several times during the night to reap the rewards of channel cat..... Skinned and fried they were great....I will look for some of the catches we had and post one of my Pa Pa.... taught me a lot.

All of them were channel cats. We used single j style hooks. I love catching catfish; trot lines, jugs, bank lines, regular old rod and reel. Heck I grew up catching 'em on a cane pole. Next I gotta give noodling a try.............. Might be fun.

Holy Cow Batman I have never heard of soap for fish bait.....Thats a first for me.....Does it work on any other fish ? Salt water fishies? I have used WD40 spray on bait before but not sure if it really worked any better than the not spraying the bait.........

I have only used soap in fresh water and for catfish, caught a few turtles too. I don't know why it works but it does, you can only use ivory soap though. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot in the bay, if it's legal. Never know what might happen.

that ivory soap trick has been around a while - i remeber using it over 40 years ago.....ivory has almost as many uses as WD-40 !

Very cool. That is my kind of fishing (sitting, eating and waiting). :icon_thumleft:

me too, can't figure out why bait-n-wait is my favorite of all but it is.