7 posts in this topic

Ok, so here's the deal. My master bath has never been updated. And most of all, when the house settled, it stressed the tile in the shower and cracked it. So now planning to sell my house, I need to fix it. I plan on gutting the whole bathroom and putting in something very nice. I am going to use a "to the stud" surround, I think I've already picked the one out that I like, my question is when I do it...should I rip all the drywall out, or just what I need to get the surround in? Also, what's the best quickest way to get rid of the old tile in the shower? Comon, I know this has nothing to do with fishing, but I know someone out there does this kind of work for a living or at least has done it on their own before....

Sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you. How old is the house? Are the wet walls, green board, sheetrock or concrete?

If I were you I would "gut" it down to the studs and put up Durarock... and the fastest way to get rid of old tile is a sledge hammer.

I'm no expert but have remoldled my share of bathrooms.I just completed remoldeing our master bath,what a job! It is hard to give advise without seeing whats existing and what you are planing to install.All manufacters are differant with differant install procedures.I think the best advise would come from your supplier and/or manufacter.Good luck:)

Ok, well here's what I did....Busted some holes in the tile with a hammer, found out it was gypsum board behind it. Some came out in little pieces, but each one of the walls had a nice size chunk that came out in one piece. once that was done, I removed the base to the shower. It came out in one piece but I managed to bust a PVC 90 deg on the drain...add to the list of stuff that needs to be done. Then I removed the toilet and the sink and cabinet. With all that out I busted up the tile floor and removed all of that. Just have to sand the rest of the crap off the floor (unless someone has a better solution for removing patches of old backing Mastik I believe its called). Once that is done. This week I'm going to replace about a 2'x2' section of subfloor and then lay down new 6" tile on the floor and grout it. Next weekend is the finishing touches. I am going to install a new "to the stud" surround and base, then paint the whole room then put the original toilet and a new sink and vanity back in...and VOILA a brand new master bath.....

Wow that sounds easy...Wanna come over and remodel our Bathroom? No matter how much time you set aside to do it ...it always takes longer...for me at least:confused1:

Durarock Jeff....

It will be great to even everything out and a nice even tile floor with no cracking of the tile or grout.