29 posts in this topic

Call to Geeks, Got a new beast of a machine but scared to death about new Vista. I have till March 31st to download it for free. Anyone out there have it yet?

I have had it installed for since the end of November.

The biggest problem with it is finding drivers for any hardware devices you might have. (my wireless card was such a PITA) my Ethernet card was so so to install.

Seems to be stable. Defiantly has a different feel to it than XP.

Once you get over the shock factor of the new interface it seems pretty good.

One more complaint is that it nags you constantly when you want to change a setting on your computer. like clicking on control panel(once you find it) it pops up a warning telling you it might be dangerous to use the control panel. I am sure that could be shut off, but I didn't really prod too deep with it yet.

I am running Vista Ultimate.

I should be getting in 10 copies of Vista Business and 10 copies of Office 2007. Can't wait to try it out, but for now I'm useless, Dave.

Oh yeah, office 2007 has a completly new interface as well. It is really clunky feeling. I don't use it much so I still haven't gotten used to it yet.

I just got XP now there is a new one????!!!!!?????!!! good lord I can't keep up.... a couple of months ago I was still using 98!!!!!!!!!

i have been using vista for a few weeks now (the copy that ffemtreed installed in NOvember) from an intermediate computer skilled person, I like it. There some PITA warnings if you want to delete a file or install a program, but overall it's not too bad. And I LOVE the new interface for office, it don't think it's "clunky" at all.!

I'm not touching it until SP1 comes out.

Oliver - LMAO

Haven't tried it yet, but in general i would assume the following:

Upgrading existing xp box? always a gamble - could go smoothly, could be some frustrating moments. Most drivers are still in Beta stages.

Buying a machine with it already on - much safer :)

Safest to wait until SP1 and vista drivers are the standard...

But i hear its nice with a few minor annoyances (the UAC as was already mentioned - but you can disable that)

ive got my ps3 now, dont think it will run a microsoft O.S. although it works with the ipod, sorry a little off the topic, anyway my laptop is to old to upgrade, just upgraded from 5 gig harddrive to 80 gig, and that took some enginering. sorry about spelling.

Dave,

stick with HP if possible for another year... Vista will have to be de-bugged in another year or so... next year - Vista all the way...:computer:

Problem is I have till March 31st to do it for free otherwise I have to pay for it. My system is brand new so I have to assume everything is compatible but still I best wait a few more weeks.

Thanks all for responses

can you just download it and save it to a disc and not install it ??

just wondering ....

Dave, I installed it tonight and it is pretty nice. I would get it while it's free for you. God knows, you'll get the updates for free!

I would upgrade while you can for free... you are eventually going to want it and like Sam said the updates are free

You are going to be kicking your self in a few months if you don't do it now...

also, do you really pay for software, lol, :angel4:

They said the same things about upgrading to Windows 95. I remember it like it was yesterday.... Microsoft will force users to upgrade to because of new software releases, all new computers will now have Vista on them, hardware drivers will come out for Vista soon... Yes, it is overpriced, but if you can get it for free with a new computer (Like Dave) Do it...

Unless you buy a $2000 machine, you are paying for Vista and NOT the hardware. These inexpensive machines have the bottom of the barrel hardware, in most cases. Poor sound, shaky net connect, strange unheard of hardware that is painfully slow, etc, etc, etc.....

You buy a bargain basement machine and you get what you pay for.

Don't let 'em kid you, you are paying for Vista.....

I'll wait until the drivers are out there for all the hardware I want to use.

I'll wait for holes to be plugged and my existing software such as virus scanners, 3rd party ad and malware scanners and blockers, etc.

Heck, you can get Vista for less than $200, buy WHY????

Wait a bit, build a nice machine and buy Vista if you really need it.

Best Buy weekly ad, this week.

This one was Sunday only.

And it's a laptop!!!!

There are others, but ya get the gist....

The list of "Vista only" playable games and such sure will get longer.

It's called "force upgrade".

Toshiba Intel® Celeron® M Processor 430

#8231148/7863341

(Reg. $649.99)

$399.99

SUNDAY ONLY, After Instant Savings

thru Feb 10

1 DAY ONLY—SAVE $250 ON THIS TOSHIBA PLUS, GET A FREE LEXMARK® ALL-IN-1 PRINTER. Surf and search securely

Windows® Vista™ Home Basic, 512MB memory, 80GB hard drive, reads and writes DVDs and CDs, 15.4" TruBrite™ widescreen. (A135-S2306/X1200 series)

Emachines desktop with Vista, $350.

HP desktop with Vista, $510.

Ok, ya got me on that one... Celeron sucks and it needs another 512mb for Vista to run efficiently... Any time they give away a free printer, look out. :icon_tongue:

To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about laptops. Cheap laptops are just that, cheap.

I remember when Win XP came out on the new Dell Dimensions. They only had 128MB of Memory, which is the minimum for Windows XP. They were so sluggish and had a lot of problems... Once the memory was upgraded, they were fine.

Dave, what kind of a computer did you get? Processor, memory and so forth.

I just installed it on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 9300. Pentium M 1.73Ghz, 1GB memory, DVD Writer and it works fine so far. I really like the interface and every program I have installed works fine. When installing Vista, it automatically had all of the drivers and the screen looks much sharper for some reason??? Haven't figured that one out yet. :D

I know some of you are Linux fans and I would be right there with you, but I make my living off of Microsoft based machines, so I have to know them inside and out. I have a feeling this will take over by 08 and XP will fall behind just like Win2K (A great OS, by the way).

Just my $.02

well before xp i was using nt 4.0, didnt like the 95/98/me stuff

i'll switch. just dont know when

lord help me..... I now need a motorcycle, a new computer, a new os, more fishing rods and god knows what else......come on powerball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Sam, its a BB Gateway 2 Gig of Ram 250 Gig harddrive and a AMD Athlon 2.2 GHz processor whatever all that crap means. Just got Verizon Fios fiber optic so now have dedicated line. TV also 10 times better. Looks like HD even thought its not. HD hook up Thurs but can't imagine it will get better than what I have now. Multitasking feature pretty neat not that I need all this stuff. Still haven't burnt a disc yet.

:crybaby2:you got FIOS?!?! Man - i'm so jealous - not available here and I'm stuck in a cable monopoly - my #$#() cable provider advertises 10 megs, but caps me out 3 :bs: yet raises my rates twice a year :icon_rambo::BangHead::BangHead:

OK now that I got that out of my system.... Sounds like a sweet setup Dave!

Download 5190Kbps - Upload 1848Kbps. Is that good? All I know everything is so much quicker especially bringing up my stock charts. The best part is how quick I can sign on now. I used Washington DC

Sam, I retired my 2.3 a year ago.

Now doing a 3.4 clocked at 4.3.

BUT!!!!!

A 2.x machine will do everything you need to do.

There ain't nuffin out there that won't run nicely on a 2.x machine.

So if Dave got a good price, it works!

You REALLY need to attend some of these Intel workshops with me.

Best thing there is FREE FOOD!