16 posts in this topic

Well, if the water cools off I guess it is time to do reel maintenance. This may sound dumb but I have never lubed or done more than rinse my reels. The most I've done is take off spools and clean with WD-40. So, what should I do over the winter to ensure my stuff lasts? Before this year i never really had much tackle. But since i got a jeep I have been given & bought some tackle i want to take care of correctly. Can you guys explain what you do? And try to remember I lack a lot of vocabulary. Thanks, Pat

WD-40 is a great product. For everything except your reels. Don't use it on you gear.

1. Loosen the drag knob and remove the spool.. Spray a rag with some Silicon Spray, ReelX, Reel Magic, or CLP and wipe down the entire reel to remove any dirt, salt, etc... You can use the Q-Tip swab to access the tight areas.

2. Saturate a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean the washer that the spool rides on and the bottom of the spool where it contacts the washer.

3. Place a drop of oil on the spool shaft where it meets the reel body.

4. Place one small drop of oil on each of the bail pivot points.

5. Remove the handle and place a drop of oil on each bearing on both sides of the reel.

6. Place a drop of oil on the hinge point of the handle.

7. Place a drop of oil on(in) the handle knob.

8. Place one small drop of oil on each side of the line roller. At least once per year, I take this apart and clean the bearing/bushing well and lube with the Penn Lube. If you have to take the line roller apart, use the correct size screwdriver. I also apply a drop of the Loctite 242 to the threads of the screw when I re-assemble it.

Your reel is now clean, lubed and ready to re-assemble. Performing this simple maintenance regularly will ensure that your reel continues to provide you with good service. Sending the reel off for professional service annually will ensure that worn parts are detected and replaced.

I thought I was going to have to open the body of the reels where the small parts are and grease. I'm in good shape. No WD-$0 though! Pat

Great job! Nice instructions and well placed photos. Excellent.

Wow. That is great! Thanks.:eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

Anyone got one for conventional reels?

I smell a sticky!

Thanks for the great post

ok here is where my complete idiocy comes through...... whats a sticky???? I hear you guys mentioning them all the time but I just have no idea what you are talking about.

It's called a sticky when you take an article (thread) and affix it to the top in the forum area, instead of allowing it to disappear down the page chronologically. It always stays at the top of the page.

Late to the party, but excellent thread. Thanks for the demo. :cya: