8 posts in this topic

I just bought a new spinning reel and am going to put 30 lb braid on the reel due to the lack of line capcity. I heard I need a backer of mono, so my first question is what size mono do I use and how much (how many cranks of the reel) as a backer and what knot do I use?

The second question is what knot do I use to tie a shock leader. Really don't like the idea of having my finger on a braided line when I cast.

Thanks Scott

you can solve the backer issue with electric tape on the spool and just go with a cannon if it's for soaking bait. If you're gonna be plugging then there are some real PITA knots out there that I have no clue what they are or how to tie them.

I have braid on three reels, no backer. The bottom is so far down I didn't worry about it.

I use all the regular terminal knots on the end.

And yeah, wear protection when tossing, braid is like a saw on your finger.

I found out the hard way awhile back.

the main reason for a backer is to keep the braid from slipping on the spool .

some reels have 2 holes to tie the braid to , some don't . on the few reels i use braid on i just put a couple of layers of mono(12lb) on then the braid . it really doesn't matter what lb test is on the bottom cause it is only being used to fasten the braid on to the spool .

but if you are planning on only putting 150 or 200 yards of braid on and want the mono to fill the rest of the spool , use a heavier mono, at least 20 lb , in case ya get down to it it wont be underrated too much ...

for finger protection when plugging i use a medical tape called 'coban' water proof flexible and cheap ..

plugging rods i don't use a shock leader ...maybe just a 4 foot piece of fluorocarbon with a small swivel ...

I use the Uni to Uni knot for the shock leader....and like steve said I wouldn't worry about a backer i never used one... never had a problem.

Scott,

I use a little bit of mono on the spool first then tie it on with a uni to uni. When I spool on the braid I get a screwdriver and wrap the braid around it once or twice. The spool it on. You want to get the braid on the spool really tight. I have found no knot suitable for a shocker with spinning gear. I don't use one.

Don't forget to buy the cannon.

This might sound kind of "dumb" but I put a thin single wrap of electrical tape on the spool before i put my braid on instead of tying it into mono backing.