6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this forum. I am in the process of having a custom Lami constructed for my jetty and back bay plugging and jigging needs. I have held the 90 1MT and it was ultra light, kind of what I am looking for since I will be doing alot of casting. It feels almost 'too" light, if that makes sense and I am not sure the MT has the backbone for bigger fish since I have landed some 20-30# fish from the jetties and bays. I asked the gentleman to get me in a 90 1M in the hopes that this would be just a bit more ballsy than the MT. I am going to be throwing around 1/2-2 1/2 ozs of lure. Is the M a better fit over the MT or is there not much difference at all?

Also, as far as guides, are the Titaniums that much better than say Sic ring reg frame. Then, are the Sic's that much better over the Alconite rings? My question is, I am going for light and durable, which should I go with in your opinion?

Finally, since I will be doing most of my fishing from saltwater jetties and bays, does cork over EVA grips make a big difference? Which would you choose for lightness and durability?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Ok this is a very novice opinion.

The specs on the MT vs 1M as far as weight is a 1/8 ounce difference, what you will notice is that the MT is lighter in the tip so it will feel lighter in your hands and when you cast. The rating is a 1/2 ounce difference, I think this should play a bigger part in what you do. Figure out what weight plugs you most often throw and then try to match the sweet spot of the rod. You can't catch em if you can't reach em.

I think you'll notice a difference after casting for 2 hours but you're young and if I remember from some pics a pretty big guy so the fatigue may not hit you unless you are throwing a bigger plug.

From the fish fighting side you may want to go to the 1M since you fish on jetties and need to be able to horse a fish away from the rocks. I would stick with the MT as I rarely wish I had a bigger rod in my hand. Also, you're probalby not going to be throwing 20+ lb line so having the 30lb rating with the backbone that accompanies it wouldn't do you much good anyway. Of course if you are using braid then forget that last statement.

Always choose cork IMO, have him seal it so it stays nice a little longer.

I can't give you much input on the titanium frame vs regular, it's not that long a rod and you'll have single foot guides...maybe 3-4 of them near the top so I don't think you would notice much difference.

Ben, thanks for your replies. You are a great asset to these forums!

Steve

And you're a funny guy!

I just made all that stuff up!:bootyshake:

Good luck with it.

And you're a funny guy!

I just made all that stuff up!:bootyshake:

Good luck with it.

Ha!

"Wow Ben, I didn't know you knew so much about rod building"

"I don't, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."