8 posts in this topic

On Saturday, Jimmy and I went to AI, he caught his first stripper from the surf (pic in january fishing reports), I however am still waiting...

When we chose our fishing locale for the day part of it had to do with the pic below. We weren't sure what caused a ridge in the sand like that but it caught our eyes and looked like a good place to stop.

WAs it water or wind? Any input or knowledge to impart?

Jan27_0006.jpg.bf23d161a0bb016ffe51852fd

Jan27_0007.jpg.362e39e8483159a39107c7920

not sure I believe it is from water, higher tide than normal, I have found those cuts before, only at night and at 40 mph:eek: :eek:

In a nutshell, rips, eddies, cross currents and types of sand can be placed or eroded in rather strange ways. This will change usually with the next high tide.

Here ya go, a pretty decent read on the beach system.

beach system

Good Stuff Steve... I was going to add that the wind pushes the water in some areas rather than other areas and then the cycle starts until the tide recedes. This is why you see the cliffs or more often... as you drive along the water line the roller coaster effect or hills as you drive.

Hey Steve...

I think you should change your tag line with this rather than "Pisces aqua coeunt"

Instead----In aqua (con)futuunt pisces... I think its more to the point.

Hey Steve...

I think you should change your tag line with this rather than "Pisces aqua coeunt"

Instead----In aqua (con)futuunt pisces... I think its more to the point.

I was being nice....:angel2:

Yep, if ya want the in depth stuff, head to the universities, they have the answers ye seek. I forgot to mention winds, but they usually come with a long wave and not responsible with frontal deposits, that would be a head wave.

When you see ridges like that is it a generally speaking a good place to fish or to stay away from?

I think on the north end it really doesn't matter and it should depend on what tides you are fishing. If you are arriving on the outgoing and fishing for 8 or so hours I look for a nice deep trough since the bar is out of reach.

On the south end I pay more attention to the way the beach sets up at low tide and you can read the cuts in the sand and determine where some close in cuts will be with the surf sucking out. This may help for your close in lines.

AI is a different animal then most places with the way the beach sets up. I've only come across a few spots where I say "perfect!" and I usually don't catch anything in them. Coop or someone else will come behind me the next day and clean it out after I chummed it for a day.

When I see a cut like that I suspect the possibility that it was an outflow, where water north and south converged and then flowed back out to sea. In other words, the beginnings of a rip tide. Sometimes these rips will continue out past the breakers, other times they die just past the shorebreak. Depends on the volume of water flowing out which usually corresponds to how rough the conditions are. I like these locations, and, the ones where the rip continues out a ways have yielded some fish. I haven't had much luck where the rip stops close to the beach. Hope this helps.:glasses13: