15 posts in this topic

I have been throwing 20-30 pound test. I met a guy who told me I should use 15lb with a shock leader. I am knot impared -I have one I tie (the end loop)that holds but all the common ones seem to fail on me.:BangHead: Is there an easy bomb-proof knot out there? All the knots I see look way beyond what my 10 thumbs can tie. Thanks.

I have been throwing 20-30 pound test. I met a guy who told me I should use 15lb with a shock leader. I am knot impared -I have one I tie (the end loop)that holds but all the common ones seem to fail on me.:BangHead: Is there an easy bomb-proof knot out there? All the knots I see look way beyond what my 10 thumbs can tie. Thanks.

I tie an albright, very easy and it only fails when I make it fail (strong steady tension trying to break off a ray so I don't have to respool).

Animated Knots by Grog

I like the blood knot for mono to mono and the double uni for mono to braid.

Hey Ben, I have used the albright. But it seems like the knot gets stuck in my rod tip...it gives me the mother of all backlashes.:angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: I know a bunch of guys use it, I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I usually tie the uni to uni. But would like to try the albright again as it is easier to tie.

Hey Ben, I have used the albright. But it seems like the knot gets stuck in my rod tip...it gives me the mother of all backlashes.:angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: I know a bunch of guys use it, I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I usually tie the uni to uni. But would like to try the albright again as it is easier to tie.

What is the size of your guides?

Also, when you double the shock end and do your running line wraps be sure to get a nice tight wrap and all that. Once I have that I clip the tag end of the shocker to where it almost goes inside the running line wrap so it's a nice smooth transition. I leave a small tag on the running line since that's what holds it all together. That does catch the top guide on one of my rods on the way in, but the top on that is around an 8 and should be a 12-16 so I'm rebuilding it.

Uni to uni is damn popular as well and people really like it, I've had luck with the albright to this point and it's easy enough to tie for a guy with big fumbly hands.

I concur with the albright knot as well.

Super easy to tie and never failed on me yet.

I also add a drop of super glue over the knot and let it dry before casting.

Ben,

I have no idea how big my guides are. Guess I gotta check it out. That is a great link you put up! Thanks! I will be messing around with knots soon and will see if I can do it better.

I know several people that swear by the bimini twist. I have used it and then secured the other line with the uni knot. The albright is much easier to tie. To do the twist at night is a pain. The albright has not failed me yet. I to think that the blowups I have been getting is because the smoothness of the knot going over my guides. I am going with a smaller diameter shock leader.

I tie a loop knot, which when tied looks very similar to a spider hitch too a no name. Very quick, easy, and strong. Never had one fail.

end_loop_635.jpg.571007bc129f9fb6078be62

Hey Scott, I tie on a lot of tackle with a different version of the 'End Loop." Do you tie two endloops together for your shock leader? Also i read in a post that someone puts a drop of super glue on their knots. Anyone else try that?

Hey Scott, I tie on a lot of tackle with a different version of the 'End Loop." Do you tie two endloops together for your shock leader? Also i read in a post that someone puts a drop of super glue on their knots. Anyone else try that?

I've heard of the glue but it is really to build up the knot so it travels through the guides better, it may help hold on braid but not really on mono. I did it a couple times when rigging up at home but never on the sand. I didn't notice much difference, but I don't get to fish that much, maybe 200 surf casts x 10-12 days.