11 posts in this topic

Started my rebuild on my first ever surf rod. I bought it about 15 years ago and it has served me well, in fact it seems to be the rod that always catches the fish. Regardless of whether I have 2 or 8 rods out they always bite on Ol' Red. The rod is a Shakespere 12' rod rated for 3-5ozI believe. The finish is coming off rapidly and the guides are rusted but it still catches fish so I've kept it around. I think I paid $50 for the combo and have since added too many pricey (to me) rods to the rotation that can cast great and look really nice but they can't keep up with Ol' Red. A bonus is that the rod can really chuck 5-n-bait, I mean really fling it. If my 8nbait rods loaded like that I would be competition casting.

I stripped the guides off this weekend and took the red finish off and the rod was silver underneath, it seems like the red finish was some type of plastic shrinkwrapped onto the blank. I then painted the rod with black vinyl paint to account for the flexing etc. I'm going to coat it with permagloss this week (still need to see if additional prep is required) and then get around to putting on the new guides. I'm leaving the seat and handle as they are in case the added weight of the paint and permagloss affect the rod to the point where it just isn't the same anymore. The rod definitely isn't worth the $50 I'm putting into it so before I put another $30 in the seat and handle I want to make sure I'm happy with it. If not I have a good rod for kings and snappers and as a loaner.

I've been taking pics along the way and will post them from home, so far so good.

For those of you keeping track I have 6 open projects. I'm having a problem getting my supplies from one site, been 2 weeks now. I have found mudhole.com to be the most prompt but have also had good experience with acidrod.com. Shofftackle is the guilty party and they have my rainshadow1502:icon_syda: and my thread...can't do much without thread.

Final coat goes on tonight and I'll have pics posted. I'm 90% happy with it, it looks great for what it is. The permaglass didn't agree with the paint so I didn't get a totally smooth finish but it is protected and looks fantastic if you don't touch it! Like I said, it's 15 years old and was maybe worth $30, so for that its damn good and ready to go another 15.

Ben, I got your message today. Sorry about the delay. I'll call you tomorrow.

Ben, I am on my 5th rod and no problems with mudhole. They have backordered my black and gold thread mix but all in all very pleased. Fishstick4u have also been good. Haven't treid acidrod.com.

I've found mudhole.com to be the most reliable so far.

I like mudhole for guides, thread and materials. I like FS4u for rod blanks.

Very nice job