21 posts in this topic

When I was younger my Grandmother and my cousins lived on 18th st in OC. Every spring the Goosefish would come into the inlet behind there house (around Easter time). Not sure what they were doing (spawning?) ...What I was wondering if anyone who lives in OC or the area see these fish come into the bay any more in the spring?Back then I don't think anyone ate them now I understand they are the poor mans lobster...

lophiohd.jpg.5f61b8c46a7b719023a54a5d88a

Edited by Sam

God I have not seen one of those since the late 70's always wondered what happened to them..

looks like something out of a cheap horror movie.

Also kinda reminds me of a stargazer, when are those things around in the surf?

YEA I forgot that they were called that as well here's a better pic of one of them.

240px-Monkfish.jpg.eb2e68c5c1e05fa467c06

Edited by Sam

Monkfish is also called Poor Man's Lobster. I buy it when available from the international market down the street where they will clean it for me. It is honestly a PAIN to clean, but if you can get through the skin and the membrane its some of the best eating out there.....

never had or caught one..... anyone know what they hit on? and where to catch normally?

Monkfish is what we always called poor mans lobster

well, now I've always been told that about Tilefish. I've eaten them before and the do taste alittle like Lobster and mostly because thier main diet is Shellfish, like Crab & Lobster but Tilefish are a deep-deep sea fish, Im talking like 600' or more and they are caught off OC:happy2:

I just checked and my understanding is that Techionally speaking, the quote Poor Mans Lobster is reffered to a fish that is white and somewhat the consistancy of Lobster.

So in a sense we are correct...

Either Tilefish sucks or I haven't had it cooked right.

To me, poor man's lobster is Rock Lobster. Catch it with goggles and flippers.

Round these here parts, I'd haf'ta go with Mud Puppies for a PML.

well I guess that since noone has seen any of these poor critters in the bay any more that they have gone the way of the glass gumball machines on the boardwalk.....gone forever:angel12:

ok this is it ....I guess for people who have been in OC in before the 90' There are 5 other water born critters that I don't see anything off. Any one see these guys at all lately? I remember very large spider crabs being caught from the inlet and the bridge...nasty looking critters.....starfish...all over the pilings (use to dry them out and sell them on the board walk as a kid)and Puffer fish and sea robins.Any site of these guys lately in the area?

Spider Crabs and Sea Robins are still around. Haven't caught a blowfish in OC in about 5 years, but I'm sure they're there.

we've caught Sea Robins and Puffers/Blowfish in the back bay behind Harbor Island 2 years ago while drifting for Flounder & Croakers and I've see them ugly-ass spider-crabs caught in crab pots up around Barb's parents place off 28th st, so they are still around.

Im sure climate changes could be a part of why/what we're seeing and not seeing:confused3: if temps keep changing (going-up) we may start seeing more southern species of fish migrating northwards over the next decade, if not sooner:evil6:

never had or caught one..... anyone know what they hit on? and where to catch normally?

i caught one with a killie while drifting a hole for flounder

25 or 30 years ago Blow fish were so abundant that when we were crabbing off of my grandmothers pier in Indian River they use to grab a hold of the chicken necks on the end of the lines and we use to net them. Great eating. Spider crabs where also pretty plentiful then. I herd it has something to do with the quality of the water is why they are not in the same numbers that they used to be. But they are on a comeback.

Ron

ok this is it ....I guess for people who have been in OC in before the 90' There are 5 other water born critters that I don't see anything off. Any one see these guys at all lately? I remember very large spider crabs being caught from the inlet and the bridge...nasty looking critters.....starfish...all over the pilings (use to dry them out and sell them on the board walk as a kid)and Puffer fish and sea robins.Any site of these guys lately in the area?

Spider Crabs:man, I forgot about them critters, probably been 20 years since I've seen any

Starfish:usually snag 1 or 2 a year

Puffer Fish:same as the starfish

Sea Robin:I never go without seeing these things, usually hit the smallest piece of squid from a croaker/spot up and down rig

have NEVER seen a goosefish, kinda glad after that pic!

How about oyster crackers? Used to nail the daylights out of them under Rte 90 bridge while trying for trout, blues and croaker. Yes, I used to frequently find spike trout under Rte 90 ages ago...