13 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody, I have just bought a ARTIC FOX slide in camper and want to go up on the BEACH. With this camper on my GMC Sierra 4X4, (Approx weight of the camper is 3100 lbs) I would like to know what air pressure to start with, should be in my tires???Anybody with a large slide in have a idea??Thanks Captbob71

I usually run my tires at 15-20 psi, but that is without a camper, It all comes down to the width of your tires, the wider the better. hope this helps.

i run a ford 250 -crew cab - short bed with a lance on it ...

e-rated tires 80 psi on the highway

on the beach ; front 25 rear 30

but that is not etched in stone !!!!

on ai i have gone down to 15 and 20 psi ..

do not try to cross the track of other vehicles at 90 degrees

best advice i was ever given :

air down , drive out on the beach , get up to @ 20 mph ,

take your foot off the gas and see if you coast .

if you don't , and come to a fast stop....

ya need to let some more out .

it all depends on the sand that day what tires you are running etc . sometimes i've gotten away with 35 and 40 ; others 15 and 20 have been touchie

hope this helps

ask away if it doesn't and i'll do my best to help ya out :)

derf

DSC00685.jpg.a865f033244c4b88e9d4a07fb1b

Thats a one heckuva nice setup there Derf. :glasses2:

Thats a one heckuva nice setup there Derf. :glasses2:

thanks , that's the wife's 'beach house ' :)

it really works great for us , we have used it from cape cod to cape lookout .

Derf

Great Looking truck!

Can you post some pictures of the inside?

Thanks

Skylar

I have heard that the best way to get the correct tire pressure is to fully inflate your tires to what you use on the road.

Then you measure the distance between the center of the wheel and the ground. Then you subtract 25% off that distance and let the air out of your tires until your distance is 25% lower than your starting pressure. Make sure you do this on a flat level surface.

Repeat for all 4 tires. Pressure may vary between tires due to load balancing.

Example -- Center of front tire hub is 10 inches off the ground when full. Reduce air pressure in that tire until its 7.5 inches off the ground.

PS-- Warning i never tried this and I just repeated this information I found on another 4X4 forum. Use this method at your own risk.

Yep, that's in this section in another thread too.

But with using that "formula" you need to remember that some ppl keep max pressure (85#) in their tires for tire life and fuel economy. Others keep 30# less for comfort. It doesn't make much of a difference without a slide-in on the sand but it may with one.

One problem is we don't know what pressure CaptBob runs on the road with & without the camper. Another is what tires, if tall and narrow, more comes out, if short and wide, less. There's the weight of truck, position of the moon, portfolio value, etc.....

I'd say start out at 30 if max press is 85 and go down from there, but not much. Do some trials like Derf wrote.

At 8000# with no camper, BFG 285's D-Rated, I go down to 25#.

It doesn't make much of a difference without a slide-in on the sand but it may with one.

without the camper , i have aired down to 15 psi to get around ..from 80 psi.

the e rated tires have a stiffer sidewall and with no weight it takes letting a lot of air out to get them to float ..

the only time i had them down 15 with the camper on was after i was 'delayed' in the sand . i was really worried about popping a bead that low with the camper on .

the tires , the camper weight , the center of gravity , even what engine you have can make a difference in how much you air down ....then there is the beach conditions .....sometimes i miss the toyota .....but thats only when i want to go exploring at hatteras .

My truck has the factory tires on it.. LT245/75R16

Don't know why they put 16" tires on a GMC Sierra Crew Cab..I would think 18" should be standard for better ground clearance with the 4X4. They don't even offer that as an option.The GVW rating is 9200lbs.

Tire Pressure on the door jam says "Front" 65 "Rear" 85..That's what I run on the road..I was thinking about lowering that a little to get a better ride.

Any input would be helpful...Don't want to get stuck 1st time out..LOL

My beach truck is a 1983 Chevy 1/2 ton, I don't have a camper on it, I have 33x12.50x15 sidewinder tires on a 10" wheel, I run about 18# and can pretty much go anywhare on AI in 2 wheel drive depending on the sand conditions. I never ride in the wet sand, always up ith beach. On my 2007 2500 Chevy 4x4

I use to pull my 5th wheel tlr. I have heavier tires on it with 16" wheels, I drop them to 25# on the beach, but they are load range D and call for 65# on the road. With low pressure on any tire Do not turn sharply on the beach as you can break the bead seal on the tire. Hope this helps, I have read the other threads on this and they all have great advice.