50 posts in this topic

The site: Indian River Inlet north shore off the end of the rock jetty

sittuation: incomming tide you have full flotation devices on (plus nice flippers )and your favorite spinning rod in hand......with the best bait or lure possible on the end (Live eel)....you jump in the water letting the tide take you in and you swim out to the center and drift in.......at night....:bs: ........I would try it!!! I beat ya a Navy Seal would do it in a heartbeat

ps.....my only problem is I think the wife might frown apon that one :binkybaby:

I really meant to spell it "EXSTREAM" with the pun being stream ...:icon_pidu:

Way too much current to try it if you are serious. How are you going to get out of the water? You won't be able to climb up those rocks.

I think thats where the flippers come in...I'd think using the flippers to swim yourself back to a nice sandy area of beach to get out of the water.

There's a fine line between extreme and stupid. Buy a boat, dude.:BangHead:

do a search for skishing on some other sites, pretty cool but not for me, especially not in an inlet.

Yes, as Ben said, Skishing is popular in some places and can be quite successful. I think you would be fighting that current so hard, it would be difficult to fish. It would be interesting to see someone do it, but I would be careful to keep an eye on the boats too...

I'd say no-way:angry2: 1st off the current there is @5 knots and given the amount of boat traffic and shore fisherman, someone is gonna' call the Coast Guard and since station IRI is like right there and they'll come a pick your ass up outta' the water and probly arrest you for being a "Hazard to Navigation", I know I would:icon_thumright:

hummmmm .....I guess the boat traffic would be a draw back but lets take them out of the picture I think that if you swam out to the middle away from the shore fishermen that it might work....the only thing that might throw you for a loop is those rollercoaster waves in the inlet. Is that inlet water speed really 5knots?

hummmmm .....I guess the boat traffic would be a draw back but lets take them out of the picture I think that if you swam out to the middle away from the shore fishermen that it might work....the only thing that might throw you for a loop is those rollercoaster waves in the inlet. Is that inlet water speed really 5knots?

yes and sometimes more, you would be better-off doing something like this from a Kayak, for your own saftey

If you guys try that shark fishing let me know,I'd like to whatch:angel11:

wow I visited some of those sites and and and .....I thought I was the first to come up with the idea and now I'm not:angry7: .......When my parents lived in Wilmington NC. We us to visit this beach down there called Shell Island . THey had this inlet there that had cut thru the sand to the bay behind the island. The current would really move thru there ....My Golden Retrever and I would jump in on an incoming tide and just float past everyone on shore on the inlet .....and I use to think man wouldn't that be cool I'm traveling so fast I could troll. But now I see others have the same idea and now I am not so original:icon_puke_r: such is life

Tom, because you have never heard of the idea doesn't make you not an original thinker. :D When I was younger, I used to SWEAR I came up with all these great ideas, until I found the internet and realised that the idea was already online. :icon_scratch:

Tom, because you have never heard of the idea doesn't make you not an original thinker. :D When I was younger, I used to SWEAR I came up with all these great ideas, until I found the internet and realised that the idea was already online. :icon_scratch:

Yeah, I think Al Gore invented skishing..... :D

Ok, let's say there are no boats, fishermen, rock hazards, lethal currents, fish bigger than you and with teeth and Coast Guard (to save yer silly self).

How would you cast, reel and land the fish? Suppose it pulls YOU?

Old Charkey would reel YOU in and chomp ya!

have u ever seen those rings tat they make mainly for fresh water fishing. Kinda like the old life saving rings except you sit in them(they have a mesh bottom where your legs go thru two holes...kinda like the ones for babies but these are for people who fish.put one of those on with some flippers and maybe one of those poles with a red flag on it 9so others can see u) sticking out the back.....THats what I was thinking of.....and I thought AL Gore did invent the net:crybaby2:

Yeah, I think Al Gore invented skishing..... :D

Ok, let's say there are no boats, fishermen, rock hazards, lethal currents, fish bigger than you and with teeth and Coast Guard (to save yer silly self).

How would you cast, reel and land the fish? Suppose it pulls YOU?

Old Charkey would reel YOU in and chomp ya!

Come on, Steve. This is an EXTREME FISHING SECTION of the forum. I've seen you out there in the surf and you do some crazy kayaking maneuversl. There aren't any (that I know of) sharks during Striper season, so no worries there. I think it looks fun... Call me crazy.

Come on' date=' Steve. This is an EXTREME FISHING SECTION of the forum. I've seen you out there in the surf and you do some crazy kayaking maneuversl. There aren't any (that I know of) sharks during Striper season, so no worries there. I think it looks fun... Call me crazy.[/quote']

He-he, but I really didn't mean to be airborne with the yak upside my head, honest!

:D

Seriously, there's "extreme" and then there is downright foolish.

The inlet is not the place to play without a boat. Sometimes even, it still ain't the place to be unless you are in something larger....

You can get yourself run over ricky-ticky (darn fast) if you're in a tube or whatever....

I don't think I would try Indian river in a kayak even......too fast...OC inlet on a nice day I would try.... but then again there is always this .......

wipeout.jpg.e3096c28009b3b77a256a6b14341

Well it was just an idea anyways ...the wife would probobly kill me before I could even try it:confused3: