5 posts in this topic

I started my St Croix rebuild last night, I'll keep track of it in this thread and try to get better on the pictures of the process. Last night was pretty simple since I haven't received any of my stuff yet, I just stripped the rod down. This will be a guide rewrap only, I am leaving the grip and seat since they are only a couple years old and in good condition.

The rod is a 6' fast action UL 4lb set up that I use for smallies and trout, I hope to get some action in close on it this year on the beach with snapper blues and some spot and kings over the summer.

So, the process last night was just heating up the wraps slightly and using a razor blade to cut the epoxy and thread to remove the guides. I was able to finish the removal by peeling the epoxy and gently shaving off any remains. Ready to be wrapped. This one will prove pretty challenging because of the blank diameter, if I can get a good result on this I'm confident moving to my Rainshadow.

Lesson learned: graphite is an excellent conductor of HEAT, got a nice blister from grabbing too close to the guide I had heated up, the guide on the other hand was only warm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben, What did you use to heat up the epoxy?

I used the stove on low last night, in the future it will be an alcohol lamp which is on the way.

I waved and rolled it about 10 inches high for about a 10 count for each guide. I got burned about 12 inches from the guide I was working on but the guide and epoxy were only warm, I didn't do my homework on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapping can only get easier from here out, wrapping an UL rod with metalic thread is a PITA, I may not be doing that again. It looks pretty sweet though. I'll have pics at some point but the silver thread and the flash didn't agree at all. I'll be putting on the finish tonight or this weekend, then all I need is for my tip to come in and I'm ready to feesh with it.

I'll post some shots when it's done but it's a pretty boring rod since I wanted to keep the weight down, nothing but straight silver thread. I am going to take some off the cork grip and re-seal it, it doesn't need it but it is dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the finish on this weekend and it turned out exactly as I hoped. I used 2 coats of lite build flex coat and think I did a good job, very level and no bubbles.

One thing I'm not really happy about is that I had to walk the epoxy down the bare blank a little on all the guides to cover some of the finish damage from the guide removal. Oh well, it should still fish like a champ and should be a tad lighter now due to the lite build.

Still waiting on the GD tip top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now