22 posts in this topic

I just sent in my app. for the 4wd for AI..... They said 3 to 4 weeks guess they have to make sure I'm clear for some top secret stuff. I was looking at that map and man o man that is a long stretch of beach. Does anyone wonder down as far as the VA. line to fish? Or is it all the same pretty much from one end to the other? How long would it take ya to wonder down to that sandy hook at the bottom? Probobly be faster to take the regular road then cut over in Va..Also are there any 4wd allowed to the north end of the island?

Some of the best Drum fishing can be at the south end of the MD zone and into VA. It takes about a half hour to get to the state line under optimum sand conditions. You cannot drive from MD into VA on AI, there is a cable fence line.

No vehicles are allowed north past South Beach, there are signs restricting it.

I've been down to the VA State line a few times....I've noticed a HUGE difference in the water there compared to up north....It seemed very flat, very shallow and VERY hard....Not sure if that changes as regularly as the structure up north, but I found it very different...I know from looking at the water I wouldn't want to target stripers there...

Thanks for the info. Was wondering if anyone ventures down to the sandy hook at the bottom of AI THat looks like a great place to fish as well.

to get to the' hook ' ; you have to enter on the va side ...

haven't fished it in years .....

but for a lot of the season it is closed :angry4:

Thanks for the info. Was wondering if anyone ventures down to the sandy hook at the bottom of AI THat looks like a great place to fish as well.

Been there before. Very nice place to be fishing. Gotta go before or after the beach closures for the birds(plovers). No prime, summertime access for the fisherman or anyone for that matter at the restricted hook area. Wasnt till mid September till we could get on the beach again. Stinks too, cuzz there has to be some great summer sharking around that inlet area....

IT IS 13.8 MI FROM THE START ON THE MD . SIDE TO VA. VA IS ABOUT 5 + TO THE INLET FROM THE START ,CANNOT GO NORTH FROM THE VA,. START. ONLY SO MANY ALLOWED DOING THE SUMMMER AND THERE ARE TIMES WHEN IT IS CLOSED FOR THE BIRDS.

PLAN ON GOING TOMMORROW AT NOON FOR THE OUT GOING.

HOPE THIS HELPS

So if you wanted to fish on the north side of the Island close to OC, I guess you would have to walk your gear up there? If it's worth the hike......

Yeah, it's quite a hike up the north side, but the inlet is there.....

If you ever have the energy to do a round trip, it might be worth it to play at the south jetty.

I see alot of people anchoring off the west side of AI at the inlet.... might just have to run over in the john boat and drag the gear over????

Welcome aboard Waterbuggy! Thanks for the info.

Oliver,

Just load up the yak OC side and paddle around to AI, a good beach landing and you have the inlet to yourself.

Those rocks on the south side jetty look like they would be easy to walk out on too.....or at least that one tall section looks nice and flat....I wonder if thats deap water around those rocks?

The water in the inlet at the western most end of the south jetty is relatively shallow, 5ft or so. As you go towards the middle to end of the jetty you can find deep water relatively close to the rocks. In fact the deeper channel in the inlet bends around toward the south jetty. If you do try fishing the south jetty I would definately try the south side. Just be careful as it's not uncommon for these rocks to be washed over in rough conditions. Finally, it's not to difficult to get from the main land to the north tip of AI in a small boat, just make sure you take into consideration the current as it can rip through this area, along the rocks and out the inlet. But, I have actually seen surfers paddle across from the mainland near the commercial dock to AI. Most of the water you can stand up in until you reach the channel which runs close to AI.

Talking about surfers making the paddle from the docks to AI...I have done it about 3 times. I usually tried to make it on slack tide right before it starts to be incomming....due to the fact that the water is lower at this time. But yes alot of it, maybe even half to 3/4 of it you can stand up in at most spots untill you hit the channel. Ive only made the trip to surf at a spot called "the wedge" which is the south side of the AI jetty. if im not mistaking the water just off of the beach on AI ( ocean side ) can get pretty deep not to far offshore and the current can be very strong close to the rocks, at least thats what I gathered when I was over there. not sure if that helps at all but if you were wondering...it wouldnt be hard IMO to get from OC, west OC to AI in a small boat or a yak that you could drag/carry from the bay over to the island somehow.

Oliver,

Just load up the yak OC side and paddle around to AI, a good beach landing and you have the inlet to yourself.

Ben one of these times you come down we might have to meet up and do some serious paddling out around the inlet.

Talking about surfers making the paddle from the docks to AI...I have done it about 3 times. I usually tried to make it on slack tide right before it starts to be incomming....due to the fact that the water is lower at this time. But yes alot of it, maybe even half to 3/4 of it you can stand up in at most spots untill you hit the channel. Ive only made the trip to surf at a spot called "the wedge" which is the south side of the AI jetty. if im not mistaking the water just off of the beach on AI ( ocean side ) can get pretty deep not to far offshore and the current can be very strong close to the rocks, at least thats what I gathered when I was over there. not sure if that helps at all but if you were wondering...it wouldnt be hard IMO to get from OC, west OC to AI in a small boat or a yak that you could drag/carry from the bay over to the island somehow.

Nate, use to make that paddle all the time. The wedge was a great spot and had some of my best sesions at that break. I remember after a 4 hour session their and paddling back and man, when we hit the back beach of AI to paddle back, we saw that bouy bending over big time. I wasn't to concerned but my buddy was who was new at the sport. I'll never forget it, he said "I don't think I can make it, my arms feel like jello". Well, fortunately for him, it was an incoming tide and he never did hit stinky beach but wound up on the other side of the harbor in west oc. Talk about a panic attack. He practically collapsed when he finally made it. He never surfed that spot again unless he had a lift back and forth via a boat. They were fun times.

Wow Stinky beach....If i was smart I would have bought one of those properties there in the 80's (instead of beer)and then I could fish all the time when I sold it for MILLIONS!!!!:angry3:

Wow Stinky beach....If i was smart I would have bought one of those properties there in the 80's (instead of beer)and then I could fish all the time when I sold it for MILLIONS!!!!:angry3:

Yeah, really... I can't believe how much it has changed. Now if they would only clean up the rest of OC...

Yeah, really... I can't believe how much it has changed. Now if they would only clean up the rest of OC...

OC?

Where is that?

Haven't been there in 20 years!

You mean it's still there?

Just as long as it's not on 611, fine..

va.side is alright.can't fish&drink& you have to get a permit to fish after sundown

well that stinks not going to Va. then:cussing:Unless there were fish there :-)