30 posts in this topic

Looking for a role call to see which one of you guys run offshore? And what do you like to fish for?

This way I will know who I'm talking to out there. And what channel are you guys on.

Herb

Sensation

I run the 20F line on a good day, the 30F line on a really good day. Target is usually Tuna.

Planning on doing a couple of shark trips this year.

BOHICA, ch 68 or 71.

Good to hear from you at least now I will know who I'm talking to from the Angler. I'm always on 65, 71 I try to stay away from 68 to much traffic, So if your out give me a call. If your in the range of 30 and 20 line, You never know what you might hook up on those ledges and structure. In 2006 I saw a lot of crazy things offshore. I used to run a lot to the 500, 1000 or 1500 line. But 2006 if you went to the 1500 or even the 1000 line all you did was waste fuel and take a boat ride. It seemed like everything moved in past the 500 line. So I worked from the 50 to 100 line and did very well, I only made one trip after the MA500 to the 500 line and it was dead. We saw a few Great Whites on the 40 line and a Big Tiger on the 30 line. We hooked into a real nice BFT trolling back into Cape May around the 20 line. That's why I say you never know what's out there. A lot of bait has moved in closer to shore and the fish are following the food supply. Before you know it your lines will be screaming once again! Take Care.

Herb

Sensation

offshore here too:happy2:

usally Marlin, Tuna, Dolphin & Wahoo but not from my boat:fucyc:

in mine boat, I'll go 15 to 20+ off the beach for sharks, Tuna and some wreck-fish and I'm usally on 68 but scan 16, 22a, 68 & 72

We fish offshore for tuna, dolphin, wahoo, We fish the ham bone, hot dog, sausages, and have been to poor man on a nice flat day. We fish on the Reel Hus 2 or on Late Start. Have been sharking in the early summer. Do most people troll or most chunk? Or does it depend on the time of the year???

Glad to hear from you guys, We will be in touch.

As for Do most people troll or most chunk? Or does it depend on the time of the year???

It does depend on the time of year and what your fishing for. If your looking for YFT, Until they settle in chunking is rough stay on the troll. Me I like both trolling and chunking. To me there's nothing better when the YFT are settled in and doing an over nighter chunking. Mr Sword should also be around a long with Mr Big Eye, But at first light I'm always back on the trolling for 2 or 3 hours before I head home. Or if I'm looking for BFT I will be at the Parking Lot, Masseys and a few others. It's good to see everyone looking in on this, It makes the blood pump. Even if you guys are just checking out the thread or never been offshore. Go a head and jump in. We will all learn something from each other. The best part is that None of us are super stars were all here to have fun!!!!

Herb

Sensation

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Offshore Member!

We run out of Indian River Inlet - Poor Mans, Wilmington, Poor Mans, Poor Mans... LOL!

Had ALOT of luck this year at the Poor Mans... Did I say Poor Mans already?

Most of our Blue and White's were at the 500 line. All tuna was inside the 100.

We monitor 71 and 68 - Mainly 71.

Run 2 boats out of IRI

Too EZ - 29 Blackfin (C Dock)

NOT RIGHT - 40 Ocean (Charter Row)

Welcome aboard! Hopefully we can post some Bloody Cockpits for these Land Lovers to Enjoy in 2007!!!!!!!!

Better Yet... I'll Flip ya on who takes SAM Out 1st!

TOO EZ,

Yes I hope that 2007 will be a good season for all of us! I have a Post out of Cape May Canyon Club Marina, and I used to have a slip up in Staten Island. Back then I was running to the Dip and the Hudson Canyon which I love! But now that I'm in Cape May - Toms to Washinton is where you'll find me. Unless I head over to Sunset then I might head down towards Norfolk. The 2006 season was a pretty good one for us caught Blues, Whites, Swords, Tunas YFT,BFT,BET, Wahoo, Mahi caught a few Makos, a long with a few others. So we will catch up keep in touch and I will see you out there!

Herb

Sensation

HS

Hudson is a Haul! 100 miles to catch what we can get 45 miles offshiore.

I grew up on a boat and my father ran his Hatteras (Toypedo) out of Manasquan Inlet / Brielle. I remember all too well leaving at 10pm and doing 10-15 knts out to the Hudson to get there by 1st light.

Some good times.... BUT! I bucked the system and I'm now fishing out of DE.

Not to throw mud over to NJ v. DE but, I have certainly learned ALOT about HOW to fish. I remember ... Oh not that long ago... My 1st offshore trip w/ my DE buddies. I had Tupperware after Tupperware FILLED w/ Plastic Lures (Area Rule, ProFish, Door Knobs, etc..). My buddy looked at me - Said a few words - and Threw it all OFF the boat. NEVER pulled a plastic lure since -BESIDES a Green Machine on a bird.

Since then - it's been nothing but rigging Ballys and Chunkin. Everything on the Long, Short and Flat lines are Bait.

It's funny when you think that NJ and DE is only a stones throw away but the fishing is 200% differant.

TOO EZ

That's why my boat is in Cape May, I'm getting older and it's a long haul. But I will never knock the Hudson or NJ Canyons (Sensation Landed a Blue Marlin 843 lbs, Giant BFT 895 lbs, YFT 132, Big Eye 264 lbs, Sword 294 lbs, Mako 501, Blue Shark 395 lbs, Thresher 389 lbs, White Marlin 74 lbs, Wahoo 93 lbs. Yes the Hudson is a haul from Cape May but to me it's still the best canyon overall. I love the Mid Atlantic Canyons I don't care what people say we have some of the best fishing here! I agree with you on the Hoo I don't pull plastic lure anymore A Green Machine on a bird on my center rigger only. Everything else is on the Long, Short and Flat lines are Bait. We will catch up later because your not far from Cape May.

Herb

Sensation

Just remember guys to watch out for that nut in a kayak....one of these really nice days I want to paddle out to littlegull and see what I can come up with....

Just remember guys to watch out for that nut in a kayak....one of these really nice days I want to paddle out to littlegull and see what I can come up with....

LOL why do I not doubt you'd at least try it

let me know the day you decide to-do that, I wanna' catch that on video:blob8:

now I hope to meet-up wth the rest of you, either at the dock or offshore:happy2:

now we still pull plastics, depends on conditions and we rarley drag "naked" baits, most are atleast dressed wth a skirt of some type and like the rest of the AtlanticTrollers, a Green Machine/Bird combo down the slot

I hope to be heading off shore often this summer. I didn't go out at all last year because my pop was building his house. He only went out a few times last year. The boat pretty much sat at the dock. Since the house is now done, we will be heading out more this summer.

let me know the day you decide to-do that, I wanna' catch that on video:blob8:

Yeah, and I'll run out and swamp him! Then we'll send it into that home video show and use the prize money for a Costa Rica trip.:blob1:

Yeah, and I'll run out and swamp him! Then we'll send it into that home video show and use the prize money for a Costa Rica trip.:blob1:

that would be cool:icon_wink: or a vid of Olie hooked-up on a 200+lb shark, only to watch him get towed out to the 30line, paddelin' n' fightn' all the way:eek:

Late reply, sorry

I try once or twice a year to run my 21' out. Have been to Jack Spot, Masseys, 'bones, never found a tuna but have enjoyed some BIG bluefish, a king mack and gaffer mahi for my kids. I'm usually 20-30f, no need for me to push the issue too far but enjoy every minute of water that isn't dirty green. Usually 68,71 Daddy's Toy I'll post in advance of when I'm going but will cancel a trip in a heartbeat for bad wx due to my boys always being with me. Hope to hear you guys out there this year.

Pic of my boys and my nephew from last year...

MAHI.jpg.b681fc68efbbcb42a7b352c39b4f9a9

not a problem, nothing like some nice Fish pics toget one in the mood for some off-shore fishing:icon_thumleft:

nice boat too, maybe we can all hook-up one day and go hay-bailin' at the wreck sites:happy2:

Thanks Randy. The boys, from left to right last year were 8,9, and 10. I've got to dig out another pic from '05 on the first trip when my sons were 7 and 8 for their first trip offshore. Yes, you'll see me (hopefully) posting many pix of my fishing reports! I get very excited when I can put my kids or guests on fish and VERY proud of what my sons have landed. So, I hope I don't bore you, just trying to keep the juices flowing for this year.

Out of curiosity, does any one else ever take thier family out there? Keeping in mind I pick my days VERY cautiously, and have pulled the plug on MANY trips, I would love to have a buddy boat at anytime but also would look forward to having another boat out there with kids. It'll help pass the time for MY kids when I'm having trouble locating the fish. (the pic in my last post, we spent about 4 hours trolling without a single knockdown. No porpoises, turtles, sharks, bait, NUTTIN'!!! Then we hit a double, turned around after that and hit the third fish. From first hook to last gaff was about 10 minutes, talk about CHAOS!!! :blob1: )

again, not a problem. Im stoked and can't wait toget my boat in the water:happy2:

now as far as "budding-up" to run offashore, thats very do-able as Bob (BOHICA) and DaveH and I all have small boats and have discussed this many times:3some: and we all can't wait to go out and hit some of the OCRF wreck sites:eusa_dance:

Hoping to "update" these photos this year, but this is from 2005, when my boys were 7 and 8, took them to the Jack Spot for a half day troll, 7 fish in the boat (had a 30 spooled when I was distracted :eek: ), we won't discuss the other gaffer mahi the "captain" lost at the back of the boat :crybaby2: . LOL But for anyone considering taking their kids, (I've got to take a photo of this someday)... From the local boating stores, you can buy a gimbal to install on the passengers seat. I had a back support (wraps behind you, clips to the reel) that I put extenders on and I attach this BEHIND the chair and then to the reel, this way I don't have to worry about losing an offshore combo or a kid! The kids still have to pump and reel, and it is in NO way designed to go head to head with a 50# tuna, that's where the adults get the stand up gear, but it is a fun way with minimal expense for the kids to actually reel in there own pelagics. Anyway, my 7yo at the time on the left, king mack, 12# mahi and a bluefish, maybe 10#. My then 8yo on the right with a pair of blues to about 15#. Wasn't disappointed for their first trip ever out of sight of land. Although now they "won't settle for some stupid dolphin and bluefish", they want a tuna or wahoo. Um, OK kids, if it was that easy...

Anyway, from my first offshore trip with my boys...

JackSpot7_05.jpg.0f04c2e9f32c8b4fb0da4ed

We run out of Sunset on a 32 mirage by the name of squidnation. formerly Incommunicado. Usually fish 50-500fathoms. Tuna early and billfish from the wmo on. we will do the shark tournament every couple of years. Hope it all starts like it did last year. Tuna way early. looks like their is a nice peice of water on the 1000 now. Push baby, PUUUSSHHH

We run out of Sunset on a 32 mirage by the name of squidnation. formerly Incommunicado. Usually fish 50-500fathoms. Tuna early and billfish from the wmo on. we will do the shark tournament every couple of years. Hope it all starts like it did last year. Tuna way early. looks like their is a nice peice of water on the 1000 now. Push baby, PUUUSSHHH

yeah buddy, won't be long and we'll all be yellin' :fish: ON !!!:happy2:

oh yeah, & Welcome Aboard Squidnation:)

i run a 21 cc striper out of cape isle of wight....wouldnt mind hooking up and heading out on my days off...

Having never done anything but wreck and surf fishing, I want to take my dad off shore this summer for tuna/mahi/anything else. When's the best time to book a trip? HIs b-day in in July, and I like to surprise him with a trip around that time. Any suggestions? Anybody recomend a good captain?