7 posts in this topic

My birthday is fast aproching and I've told my friends and family I would like money towards fishing stuff.With that being said,what are your thoughts on a inexpensive surf rod to get me started? Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks Daveh

Hey Dave, What kind of surf fishing do you plan on doing?,,,throwing weight and bait or tossing lures?,,,for throwing bait, I would suggest a 10'-11' rod that can handle at least 3-6 oz and up to 8 oz,,,this size rod can fit many different applications of surf fishing,,,I think the tica and tsunami are one of the best economy rods around and you can get them for under $100,,,I have both and love the way they throw,,,great rods for the money.

LOL! I love the "just a cheap one to get me started"! That's what I said! I'm sure everyoen on this board said it too. The first Rod I bought was a Penn 11'6" spinfisher big game surf rated for 2-8 oz. I got that when I was like 14 and a couple of months. By the time my 15th birthday came around I got a $400 custom 10' heaver! It is really sick the way the fishing addiction gets you. One day you want a cheap rod to start off with and a few months later your spending hundreds of dollars on this stuff! I am still trying to work out my next rod. Anyways, to answer your question I would say go to the bass pro shops store and they have a good selection. The ones I would reccomend would be the Ocean Masters, and just pick the rating you want to work with in spinning on conventional. They cost a few bucks more than the ticas and tsunamis but are well worth the extra cost and I believe they are also under a lifetime warranty since it is a BPS item. Last year on our Rockfish trip one of my friends broke his BPS extreme rod that someone gave him that was like 10 yrs. old that they didn't make anymore. He took it to Bass Pro and they gave him one of the new model BPS extreme rods for free. Hope it helps. When you need help with a custom rod in a couple of months just ask and we can help you with that too. :wink:

HI Dave. Pierman summed it up. You don't wanna throw away 60 bucks to get an "inexpensive" rod when you can spend 100 and get a nice one. Next time you're in the area, go to Harbor Tackle and check out their surf rod selection. I recommend a 11.5' tica. Trust us, you'll be glad you did.

Don't do what I did last spring. I started getting into fishing for the "bigger stuff" after years of using smaller gear. If I had only known about these fishing sites I would have saved myself a lot of money. BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!! Ask a lot of questions, the people here will give you good information. I ended up buying more combos AFTER I bought what I thought I needed.

I love my tica 12ft. version only 99.99$, my first rod however was a 9 1/2 ft fenwick cost me 60$ even i like that rod to.

tight lines ya'll

A couple angles on this topic. When I first got into surf fishing I spent $180 on a 11.5 ft Diawa rod and reel at a local tackle shop. It was, and still is, a sweet setup, although a little heavy. I purchased this setup about 12 years ago. Soon after getting it, it was pulled down into the sand a couple of times by skates and high surf. I freaked at the sound of sand grinding in my expensive reel but was able to wash most of it out with fresh water. In order to increase my chances of catching fish at Assateague I decided to purchase a 9ft combo Diawa combo for $40 from one of the local box stores. I think I soon purchased the same thing in a 10 ft version. Perhaps by coincidence I have caught more fish with the cheaper rods. However, the 9ft rod is no more, and the 10 ft rod is not so smooth anymore. The expensive rod has held up and withstood the test of time (keeping in mind I rinse it off after every outing), while the others have developed grooves in the rod eyes, and reels that have stiff drags. My advice would be to purchase the more expensive combos if you can take good care of them and keep them out of the sand. If possible, I would try to purchase 3-4 combos to increase your chances of hooking up. Also, if you are like me and tend to catch the smaller stuff you don't need every rod to be 13 feet. Hope this helps.