19 posts in this topic

Last summer I came down to AI twice. The first time, I met up w/ Coop, Sam and Oliver for some sharkin'. The second time, I brought my wife and kids to see the horses.

Each time, they charged me a $10 fee to get into the federal side of the park. I think the pass they sell for $10 is good for 7 days...

I've heard that you can somehow use Federal Duck Stamps to get into Federal parks like AI...(I used to buy them at the post office each year I duck and goose hunted)

Is this true ? If I show up at the gate house w/ a current year duck stamp do they then waive the $10 fee ?

Also -- the access I'm shooting for is just driving on and parking in a parking lot. Not necessarily ORV. I understand that w/ ORV you need a different permit entirely.

Hopefully someone can help straighten me out on this.

Thanks and tight lines,

Mark

i don't know anything about the 'duck stamp'??

but you can get a yearly pass for the gate :) . i think it is $20 ??

yep - yearly pass somewhere around the 20 dollar ish mark.

Steve (or anyone that knows) - It appears that you cannot buy the $20 annual AI permit online - is that true? Or did I just not see the link.

In the past I had just gotten one at the gate, but It would be more convenient to get one online as I expect the next few times I arrive no one will be working the gate......and when I'm going fishing the last thing I want to do is to delay getting my lines in the water with a stop at the ranger station...

I didn't see anywhere to get it online either, i stopped and visited the rangers last weekend while we where there, it was like pulling teeth to get my pass though... hopefully they have the passes in by now!

Yep - its the $20 pass i'm looking for - i have enough trouble finding time to go to AI, I don't think i'll be hitting other Nat'l parks until the kids are a bit older...

The $80 "everywhere" pass will NOT open the gate at the entrance, you would have to wait behind the tourists.

The $20 AI only pass willl open the gate.

so we just have to wait in line behind the people who can't read directions and take 10 min to figure out how to swipe their card!?!?!?!?!?!

How do you purchase the 20$ AI pass??

At the gate.

so we just have to wait in line behind the people who can't read directions and take 10 min to figure out how to swipe their card!?!?!?!?!?!

I wait in line because my card dose not always open the gate and I know how angry fishermen can get.Hopfully my 2007 card will not have that problem.P>S> I no longer keep it on the dash,though maybe that was the culprit.:icon_scratch:

Federal migratory bird stamp also covers park entry fee.... 15 bucks at the post office... Good for a year, from June to June. 2 birds with one stone.

Federal migratory bird stamp also covers park entry fee.... 15 bucks at the post office... Good for a year, from June to June. 2 birds with one stone.

From what I read, the stamp is for VA only.

• Maryland
    Foot/Bicycle: $3.00 - 7 Days
    Vehicle: $10.00 - 7 Days
    Vehicle: $20.00 - Park Annual Pass, valid from 1/1 - 12/31.
  • Virginia
    Foot/Bicycle: No Fee
    Vehicle: $10.00 - 7 Days
    Vehicle: $15.00 - Refuge Annual Pass, valid 1 year from purchase.
    Vehicle: $15.00 - USFWS Migratory Waterfowl Duck Stamp.
  • Available in Maryland in Virginia
    Vehicle: $80.00 - America the Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, valid 1 year from purchase
    Vehicle: $10.00 - America the Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass, 62 years and older, lifetime
    Vehicle: Free - America the Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Access Pass, permanent disability, lifetime

Entrance Passes may be used in both the Maryland and Virginia districts.

Huh. :icon_scratch: Maybe they decided to change the rule there Steve. I actually was under the impression that it will give entry to all Federal parks. Every time I was down it worked in MD. They just waived me on through. Just have to wait in line a little in the busy season. ... I think what you posted is what passes are available to be purchased at each different location. I dont think you can get a "duck stamp"(migratory bird stamp) at AI in MD. But I think you can in VA. Not for sure though... You can at the post office though...

The Duck stamp is good at any of the National Seashore Parks you can buy them at any post office

Mark, just north of the southern entrance of the national park is state and south is all national. The first entrance, if you go straight rather than veering right when you go over the bridge is the entrance to the state park.

Is AI considered a National Seashore Park ?

Yes AI is a National Seashore

AI Md has both a state park and a national park as Coop stated the stamp is only good at the bationak section

AI Va is National

"From what I read, the stamp is for VA only. "

Steve just this past November I entered AI Md with the stamp

"From what I read, the stamp is for VA only. "

Steve just this past November I entered AI Md with the stamp

Geez, who knows....

Not the first time info from the Feds has been conflicting or confusing, and sure not the last....

Wonder why they don't list the duck stamp under MD?

Hmmm, maybe they changed it since they changed the overall pass stuff and raised the $50 to an $80 fee...

:dontknow: