10 posts in this topic

January 17, 2007

SHAKESPEARE FISHING TACKLE ACQUIRES PENN FISHING MFG. CO., A LEADING SALTWATER REEL COMPANY

For Immediate Release

Columbia, SC – Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, a leading manufacturer of fishing rods, reels, fishing line and accessories is pleased to announce the acquisition of Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co. Founded in 1932, Penn is the market leader in saltwater trolling and spinning reels and saltwater rods.

These products include the famous Penn International®, Senators®, GT, and GTO trolling reels, as well as Slammer® and Spinfisher® SSM and SSG spinning reels.

“For 75 years, Penn products have been the gold standard for offshore, inshore and surf fishing,” according to Scott Hogsett, President of Shakespeare. “Shakespeare is excited to be able to add Penn’s broad assortment of saltwater products to complement the current Shakespeare, Pflueger and All Star freshwater, inshore and saltwater offerings.”

“We look forward to bringing to Penn the vast new product introductions and innovation that our customers have come to expect from Shakespeare and Pflueger each year. The Penn name is one of the greatest brands in fishing, but has lacked the resources to grow and develop markets. Our volume and economies of scale will allow us to reinvest in the brand and grow market share.”

To be honest, I think the Penn we knew was gone a few years ago anyway. They've been trying to live on name alone for quite a while (hope that doesn't sound like a troll lol - I have and still use an 8500 but I love my baitrunners)

:eek:

this cant be good

although i do like my pfluger fly reel

I would hope to think they would keep the plant going in Pennsylvania.

Already have all the dies, setups and machinery.

AND

A good knowledgeable staff putting out a stellar product.

I just look to seeing more from them.

I think they are keeping the high end stuff here in PA,,,like the international series, at least that is what I have read. I am switching everything out to Avet anyway.

I haven't had much luck with the Shakespeare stuff, personally. I do love my Penn Senators...

To be honest, I think the Penn we knew was gone a few years ago anyway. They've been trying to live on name alone for quite a while (hope that doesn't sound like a troll lol - I have and still use an 8500 but I love my baitrunners)

I'd have to "respectfully" disagree.

I've owned/own a few Shakespeare reels and I am NOT impressed with them. I've fished alot of reels and LOVE my GOLDS.

I can Honestly say (And this might be what you are refering to) I've NEVER owned a Penn Spinning reel.

GOLD All the Way!

Bummer...

Darn! just when I was finding a brand I really liked and felt comfortable with.

This is going back to my trout fishing days. NEVER EVER had good luck with shakessphere reels. They always seemed really high in the maintenance dept. Even after a week of fishing the fresh water of PA trout streams, you would have to take the reel apart and oil. I really hope they don't ruin my Penn's quality, or even worse decide to drop them and try and build Penn Technology into their own reels.

I look at Shakespeare like I look at South Bend...Comon you all know that company. They make walmart/Kmart quality stuff. Some of it is ok for a season of fresh, but I don't think I'd ever take it into the salt. Although I'd take a shakespeare over an Okuma any day of the week if they were the only two choices. All we can hope for is that Shakespeare buys them up but keeps them as a subsidery (sp) of the parent company. I know that PENN has gone downhill since they stopped US production. Maybe (highly doubtful) Shakespeare will break out the old designs and specs and improve the quality of the new stuff......But thats all a dream, I don't see anything good coming out of this. Watch for a mad rush of Old PENN stuff on Ebay...those old 9500SS are really gonna start going for a pretty penny now.....

...those old 9500SS are really gonna start going for a pretty penny now.....

Good point.....Hmmmm wonder what my 8500SS is worth now.....its a collectors item! :happy3: