Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coop

Red Drum

11 posts in this topic

Great info Coop! I can't wait to see what it feels like to fight one of those big, bull reds. :D

I like the looks of the strong south tomorrow (Tues 20th) for the Reds to show. Guess I can wait couple more days. Need to scope out beach for wadable bar for tourney. If I have to I will swim to it. Beach sucks the way it is set up this year. I think catchin a drum this year in the tourney is a huge challenge but I am sure someone will with all those baits out there.

Nice site Sam.

Great to c ya posting Critter Gritter :D . I am sure you wont have any problems finding those big reds. I've got my money on ya :D . As for me, I am hoping to head out on Thursday for some reds,,,maybe I'll get lucky. So far logged 18 hours for reds,,,nothing :cry: .

Dave, thanks for coming aboard. I was looking at your post and realized that you rank is "minnow". I'll make the appropriate changes today. :D

See ya this weekend

Thanks Sam. I was trying to put a pic up but pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing. Put the camper on tonight as got to cut up the deer Weds and might rain tomorrow and we sure need it here. Looks like some east swells this weekend but with calmer winds beach should stay open. With the forecast of off shore winds drum will be far and few between. Time to swim/wade to the bar. Any you guys fishin the tourney?

Coop you tried yakkin any baits out down by the line? I think the fish are there but out in that ocean highway.

Critter Gitter, I was going to hang up the yak for the season but seeing that most may be out beyond the bar, I may have give it a go. I am more concerned of constant yaking due to by-product catch, such as skates and doggies if they are in there thick. I guess it wouldnt be an issue yaking heads out. I really need to catch one,,,its becoming an overwhelming obsession.

As far as the tourney, gotta work. I was thinking about leaving from work, only 2 min from the bridge at AI, but sleep deprivation might become a problem come Sunday. Lets see, I open on Saturday, gotta get up at 4:30 am to open the shop, off at 2:00 pm, rods in the water hopefully by 2:30 pm,fish until Sunday to 10:30 am. Gotta close Sunday, so back to work by 11:00 am and work until dark, around 7:30pm. Wadya guys think,,,do-able? Almost 20 hours of fishing,,,I like the sound of that,,,its the working right before and after thats the problem,,,heck, I could fish non stop for two days knowing I dont have to work,,,next year, I am taking off!.

I think I am going to enter,,,who needs sleep! Looks windy for early Saturday.

that website gave some good advice my 5 ft , 60lbs.test leader with a 7/0 gomaktsu circle hook with a whole bunker fillet or a whole mullet never caught one but i keep trying. ( hooked a black drum at IR inlet using that rig with a whole peeler). hope to get one this upcoming season, this advice will hope.

tight lines ya'll

I'm looking forward to getting ahold of some peelers next spring. I need to catch a black drum from the surf.